Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Poppin cork on da fly...

Saw this on our M'sipi forum. Guy got it from FlyFishingForum. Says the half cork allows for depth adjustment and originator said cup it w/dremel but flat pops good too. I use double poppers, popper/wetfly for bass and brim and in shallows for specks I prolly opt for a popper and shrimp, lil silverside. He uses a 8,10 wt to hurl this. What ya think?

29AAF028-61EC-4526-8108-B1A6112FD28E_zps

Rather complicated. I'd be tempted to use a light spinning rod instead of trying to chuck-and-duck it with a fly rod.

I once completed an order for a former commercial speckled trout fisherman who liked to use a "yellow feather" as a tagalong behind surface plugs (usually a zara spook type, "walk the dog" mullet plug). He said it was so effective that years and years ago he used to to take hundreds of pounds of specks at a time as a commercial hook and line operator... That "feather": was nothing more than four dyed yellow neck hackles (cut down to about two inches long) that were tied splayed, two on a side onto a Mustad 34007 1/0 hook with bright red or orange thread...

That "feather" was rigged about 18 to 24" behind the surface plug... Not exactly a purist's dream -but very effective (and might just generate an idea or two....). One of the tactics we use regularly when fishing two anglers (one on fly, the other with spinning gear) is to have the fly angler ready to "pile on" to a hooked trout or redfish. Quite often the fly will take a follower to a hooked fish - usually one we never saw....

That old "former commercial fisherman" was a customer of mine for many years, just passing away a year or two ago.... I built rods for him, repaired his reels (sometimes by the bucket full...) and made lures for him. He worked as a commercial fisherman to put himself through college, then med school.... I only met him years later.... he was a prominent local dermatologist for many years locally...