Fly Tying
dronlee

Giant Stonefly Nymph

I'm really amazed with the realistic pattern that posted in this forum.... every time when I log in... surprise... and jaw drop.......

Hopefully my stonefly nymph pass to join in.....

GiantStoneflyNymph4.jpg

GiantStoneflyNymph10.jpg

as a beginner, .... I'm hoping to seek advice and guidance for many question on how to improve the flies....

The legs.... how do you all tie it so detail...?

The wing case.... How can I improve...?

any others.... pls advice...?

Hello Dronlee, Excellent effort, hand segmented feather legs like that are very difficult, yours are well proportioned and even. Some use coated stainless steel leader material and cover them with thread, ostrich herl, clipped hackle etc. They shape easily. I tend to like the way you have presented them, IMO. The only criticism I have is to top light the fly more, so we can see the thorax better.

Well done, keep up the fine work.

Cheers, Jeff.

Hello Dronlee, Excellent effort, hand segmented feather legs like that are very difficult, yours are well proportioned and even. Some use coated stainless steel leader material and cover them with thread, ostrich herl, clipped hackle etc. They shape easily. I tend to like the way you have presented them, IMO. The only criticism I have is to top light the fly more, so we can see the thorax better.

Well done, keep up the fine work.

Cheers, Jeff.

Many thks for the advice.... I'm not sure about how to tie those legs in steel leader.... tried before... it turns out like Hulk's leg... any link that I can refer....?

As for the Thorax... I'm using 0.5mm thks foam sheet, cut to shape, tie and coloured with marker... it's ok when I tie on 'large size' nymph... but it look bad when tying on small hook......

Perhaps this photo will see clearer on the thorax / wing case....

GiantStoneflyNymph11.jpg

GiantStoneflyNymph12.jpg

Is there any alternative material that will work better for thorax....?????

How about the tail.... I think biot is not really ideal....... pls advice

Many thks......

Sorry.... one more silly question.....

What type of vanish best work for realistic flies.... at the moment, I'm using Tamiya Cement... ( plastic hobby kit )... which the finish seen to be a bit rough....

Thank you.....

Well done .I have never seen a stonefly nymph in person (I live down south) but it looks really good.Your legs look

fine but there many other techniques if you wanted to experiment. Porcupine quills make great leg segments and

ostrich herl adds a great hairy look to any part. Mono wrapped with thread . A technique developed by David Martin

is the method I use . You can control how thick or tapering each segment is.As for varnish , I use Flexament.

It is clear and flexible and binds with thread well.If it gives off too much shine you can soften the look with a little acetone on a cotton swab.

As I said I really don't know this insect so I can't be of much help on specifics , but it looks as good as those I seen posted here.

Fred

Dear all,

Thank you very much for the advice....

I will try tying those leg with mono.... Cos we can't get any porcupine quills here....

As for the vanish - Flexament.... would be really appreciated if you could advice me where I can order them.... We don't get these kits in Malaysia... and the material are really really really limited too.....

Here is another giant Stonefly nymph that I tie recently.... putting in the wing profile...

In our National Park...we have seen these little monster grown up to 40mm- 50mm...... and I believe a lot of our local river fish species takes them. That is what inspired me tying this pattern... ( it's big enough for a beginner like me to tie... :rolleyes: )

RealisticStoneflyNymph6.jpg

Pls advice... if there any improvement that I can do....

Many thanks....

This one is my latest... after seeing and getting ideas from the past topics posted on this forum....

GoldenStoneflyNymph10.jpg

GoldenStoneflyNymph2.jpg

GoldenStoneflyNymph3.jpg

GoldenStoneflyNymph4.jpg

GoldenStoneflyNymph8.jpg

GoldenStoneflyNymph9.jpg

GoldenStoneflyNymph1c.jpg

Now... I understand... how painful.... you guys tying the legs in detail..... especially splitting the fiber to form the claw.....

Is there any easier way to do this....?????

Honestly.... looking at the fly.... the legs still look ugly..... not realistic at all......

You could try catching a stonefly from the river bed, tying it to a hook, then you'll get realistic legs. Really! :bugeyes:

Great work, keep it up.

Dronlee,

I think you are right....Biot legs are great....for your fishingflies. I do think you have reached an acceptable result though. But if you want realistic they are not the way to go. Every realistic tyer has his favorite way to create his bug legs. I like mono for the may flies and other small bugs and steel wire for the giant stones and every other big bug. It will just give you more stiffnes and workspace to play with. You can tie all kinds of materials on it and make them as slim or as bulky as you like....all the way down to the tarsal claws...try to tie these on biot's. Since the wow factor comes mostly from the details I think you will like wire or mono legs better.

You did a nice job though. The problem with this game is that you can always do better ;)

Keep it up.

Greets Paul

Honestly.... looking at the fly.... the legs still look ugly..... not realistic at all......

You could try catching a stonefly from the river bed, tying it to a hook, then you'll get realistic legs. Really! :bugeyes:

Great work, keep it up.

You are RIGHT.....!!!!! that is not a bad idea...... hahaha.....

Dronlee,

I think you are right....Biot legs are great....for your fishingflies. I do think you have reached an acceptable result though. But if you want realistic they are not the way to go. Every realistic tyer has his favorite way to create his bug legs. I like mono for the may flies and other small bugs and steel wire for the giant stones and every other big bug. It will just give you more stiffnes and workspace to play with. You can tie all kinds of materials on it and make them as slim or as bulky as you like....all the way down to the tarsal claws...try to tie these on biot's. Since the wow factor comes mostly from the details I think you will like wire or mono legs better.

You did a nice job though. The problem with this game is that you can always do better ;)

Keep it up.

Greets Paul

Thanks Paul,

I tried wire before... end up it looks like HULK's muscular legs... works on mono... it's too soft to tie lines on it...... :wallbash:

Looks like there must be some steps that I have miss out.....

Will try again...... again.........and again.......

Hi Dronlee, Paul is a master realistic Stonefly tyer, and Fred a master realistic everything else tyer, they are great mentors too. The top lit thorax photos are very good, and it is splitting hairs with any criticism. I do my stone legs with .021" coated stainless wire, for the trochanter, coxa, femur and tibia, and mono for the rest of the leg ond foot. I coat it with 14/0 sheer thread, using a hackle clipped for the femur spikes, and ostrich for the lower leg. Mine are not as good as Paul's, but I am working on it. As for the wing pads, I use a thin stiff plastic sheet like Virtual Nymph brand plates, I drew them by hand in large format, just the outline and veins and scanned into my computer and used paint shop pro to reduce and inkjet print to the clear sheets made for injet printing. The vein is printed on the sheet side closest to the fly and my coloration is on the other side away from the fly, mostly using sharpies.

Keep posting, Cheers, Jeff.

Hi Dronlee, Paul is a master realistic Stonefly tyer, and Fred a master realistic everything else tyer, they are great mentors too. The top lit thorax photos are very good, and it is splitting hairs with any criticism. I do my stone legs with .021" coated stainless wire, for the trochanter, coxa, femur and tibia, and mono for the rest of the leg ond foot. I coat it with 14/0 sheer thread, using a hackle clipped for the femur spikes, and ostrich for the lower leg. Mine are not as good as Paul's, but I am working on it. As for the wing pads, I use a thin stiff plastic sheet like Virtual Nymph brand plates, I drew them by hand in large format, just the outline and veins and scanned into my computer and used paint shop pro to reduce and inkjet print to the clear sheets made for injet printing. The vein is printed on the sheet side closest to the fly and my coloration is on the other side away from the fly, mostly using sharpies.

Keep posting, Cheers, Jeff.

Wah... Wah... Wah.... Wah........... my jaw drop again....... :bugeyes:

Thanks for the tips.....

Looks like I'm getting lots of sleepless nights..... even tying in my dream.......... :cry: