Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adam Saarinen

Saltwater tying thread?

The smallest diameter thread I've ever used was 3/0 monocord (and I still use it today for bonefish/permit bugs...). The thread I use the most is flat waxed nylon from Danville -it's good strength and the wide variety of colors from standard to fluorescent make it my day to day for ordinary usage. I've begun also using some of the new threads (Uni from Wapsi) -also in 210 denier (the size that flat waxed nylon comes in) but have noted that although the colors and quantity on each spool is the same as the Danville - newer threads don't seem to whip finish as smoothly as the Danville does unless I carefully reduce the tension on the thread when completing the finishing knot.....

By the way I also use 4 and 6lb mono on occasion instead of normal tying thread - and of course the mono is just re-cycled fishing line....

I use Danville flat waxed for most flies, but also use a lot of fine mono. I occasionally use Gudebrod A rod wrapping thread for flies that I want an epoxy head (I just like the way it takes the epoxy). I'll occasionally use 3/0 monochord or unthread but Danville flat waxed is my favorite. I even use it to spin and stack deer hair so it is plenty strong. If you are in need pf a [articular color you don't have, you cn always use whit and color it with a sharpie as you finish the head.

I use Bulky Nylon by Gutermann. Its about the same size a flat waxed nylon, but it isn't waxed. Its a multi strand thread, and is easily split to make dubbing loops. I use it for all my larger flies, and that includes salt water. I also use a 4# mono thread that is simply fishing line.

The Bulky Nylon comes in dozens of colors (I use white the most,) and is on 1094 yard spools. Since I re-spool all my thread onto my auto bobbin, this is no problem for me. Cost at regular price from Joann Fabric is about 6.00, but you can usually find discounts of 40 to 50 % off.

For SMALL flies, I have been using Gutermann Skala 240 which is finer than 8/0 and works quite well for me up to size 12.

Have been using Danville 210 FWN and Danvile Fine mom on my SW flies for 15 years. It's consistent, readily available and just works for everything I do. The only time I will go smaller is for some bonefish flies and such. I have been using the unwaxed version for flies I will be entirely coating the head and sandwiching 3D eyes on. I think the Light Cured Acrylics and epoxy sticks better.

Depends on what I'm tying. For bait fish patterns I use either clear mono or clear polyester thread I pick up in the craft stores. Come to think of it I use it for my Clousers too. Other than that I use white thread, usually Big Fly thread

Danville 3/0 waxed or UNI-Mono Sm/clear or Med/clear work very well the mono especially with epoxy. The med mono you could also use as tippet.

70 denier for most tying where build-up is avoided, and 140 denier when you want to really reef on some spinning hairs.

I alway try to use 4lb mono fishing line unless color is needed. that case I may use black or red thread.