Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Rate My Gotcha 1.0

Due to the reason that my clousers dramatically improved thanks to the help of you, I have since decided to yet improve another fly, the Gotcha. It was tied on a size 6 Mustad 34007 hook. Please make critiques

Here goes nothing...post-59033-0-49872200-1464309531_thumb.jpg

That will fish ...the eye looks a tad crowded, probably coz the dumbbell eyes are a fraction to far forward ...the wing, to me, looks a little bit too upright, but that could be a personal thing. And I, again personal choice, prefer my tail to be a little angled upwards.

Well, at least you have used a thread that compliments the pattern. The tail is a little too much, the wing is ragged, Try Standing the craft fur up on the skin before you cut it. By standing the craft fur at 90 Degrees to the backing you can see how the tips align and get a better shaped bunch of hair before you cut it. Then cut the furn very close to the backing fiber. Comb out the short hairs and then try to re position the longest hairs more evenly into the bunch. The wing should be fuller. I would also try and streamline the body a bit.

When I remove all the short fibers, I save them and use them in a dubbing loop for shrimp bodies.

Good reference photos help me to keep things in proper balance etc. Once you learn to tie the basic originals then you can start working on variations for specific applications.

Here's a good photo of a basic gotcha ( not mine ) to use for comparison.

post-44758-0-77887600-1464393373_thumb.jpg