Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

tis the season....

....for credit card fraud

i just got an email alert from my credit card company regarding an $1800 charge on my card at a store i never shop at.

i did call my card company immediately to dispute the charge and got the resolution process initiated. they were great in doing this

they immediately canceled my existing card and will be sending me a new one

i dont want to be your net nanny or tell you what to do. just beware and check your financial accounts often

norm

Norm, you should not be liable for more than a nominal amount, if any. Keep up the good fight with card company. Sounds like a ring of some kind got the number. Good luck on this...

A few years ago I had Discover call me up about 6:30 Am one morning, I had $650 in charges at one store I never shop at and over $300 at another. I have credit protection on that card that covers all my cards and it's triggered automatically if there is a charge over $300. End of story. Well, I was issued a new card etc. but no hassle what so ever. That protection is $8 a month as I recall, or it was back then anyway.

thats a good reminder for everybody who has a credit card.

add some sort of credit protection or an alert system that is available through your financial institution.

my transaction alert is any charge above $20

dont forget to also change your passwords regularly

Had it happen to our Cabela's VISA Black card a couple of times. They, at Cabela's, have been great about contacting us to alert us about charges that appear to be 'out of place' - that is, a charge that just doesn't fit our spending patterns. It's headed off some trouble, like I said a couple of times. Nice to see some financial institutions at least trying to not put these sorts of charges on the backs of the regular customers.

BCT

Happened to me just 3 weeks ago, that was the 2nd time in the past 5 years. I always go over my CC statement every month when I pay my bill just to make sure everything is on the up & up. Went over last months and found a $27 charge at Toys R Us/Babies R Us...obviously not mine lol.

Funny thing is I always hear people say how they are afraid the CC they have associated with their Paypal is the one they worry about, yet both times I have had fraud charges it's been with a card I have never used nor linked to paypal. Probably just happened when I used it for some sort of non paypal online shopping most likely.

I have had my credit cards hacked a number of times. Once for over 50K for skateboarding equipment in California where they actually were successful in raising my limit and one time for 10K in Arizona. Both times I was alerted to the charges by the credit card company. Never ever was I responsible for paying the fraudulent amount. In fact I never had to fill out a single document nor did I report it to the police. A phone call followed by new cards in the mail a few days later and problem resolved. While I always scour my bill for unapproved charges, Anymore I honestly could not care less about someone using my credit card since it's the credit card companies problem not mine and they don't seem to be to bothered by it. Now opening up new lines of credit in my name is an entirely different issue and the greater concern.

The bigger crime is how credit card companies suck young kids into their trap. Give them a $500.00 limit card and when the kid maxes it out but pays his monthly minimum balance of $2.07 they raise their limit to a thousand and so on up the ladder. Next thing you know the kid has his 25K card maxed out and is paying a $42.00 minimum payment which barely pays the 23% interest rate let alone any principle.

Next thing you know the kid has his 25K card maxed out ...

Okay ... 1548 reasons I am HAPPY I never had a kid !!!