Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

steelhead trip??

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:49 PM

i was rereading the post of the results from out last steelhead excursion in michigan last spring and was wondering, are we all getting together for another one this year? last year was an absolute blast and i cant wait to do it again.

can anyone tell i have cabin fever really bad? going back a year to reread a post.

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,598 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:37 PM

Depends on the job situation for me but i'd be up to try to make a spring trip this year to somewhere like the PM or Au Sable.

SD
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 Foersterhunter

Foersterhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:49 PM

yeah i wouldn t mind a get to gether of some type

#4 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:44 AM

does anyone want to take the bull by the horns and get things together for it?

i know i am in for at least a weekend thing, maybe a 3 or 4 day trip again.

#5 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:02 AM

I am still new on here, and am not rying to invite myself, but I would like to get in on this if it was okay with everyone dunno.gif

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,598 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:22 AM

Nope sorry we cant take the chance by having anyone named SKUNKED on the trip with us laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

Open invite bud the more the merrier. I would set it up but like I said till my job/$$$ situation is soild its up in the air for me at the moment.

Anyone know what river were thinking about yet? or a idea of a date dunno.gif
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#7 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:41 AM

personally, i think the west side is a better option for the pure fact that there are so many different rivers we can hit (pm, big man, mo, lil man, white and others). i think the central location of baldwin last year was great in that it was only a 1/2 hour trip or so to the different rivers.

skunked, man i dont know. i have to agree with SD. with your name it is scary, but what the hell, we let stel come last year smile.gif.

like steve said the more the merrier and it is open to everyone from all states. i will see what i can find as far as lodging and what not and post it on here. i liked the cabins we stayed at last year, but dont feel like dealing with the jackass neighbor again, especially if we have alot of guys come around again.

#8 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:19 AM

skunked, man i dont know. i have to agree with SD. with your name it is scary,
Nope sorry we cant take the chance by having anyone named SKUNKED on the trip with us laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

In defense of my name- A guy has to really love the outdoors to go out and get SKUNKED as much as I do to still try and go out as much as I do. That's why I really think fly fishing is gonna kick butt, cause atleast if I'm not catching any fish I can try and catch some bugs headbang.gif Oh and by the way, I now have beginner's luck on my side, so look out! cheers.gif

#9 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:42 AM

Depending on the weekend you guys end up with, I might be game.

Easter falls early this year and I'm obligated to fish the Keys. sad.gif laugh.gif cool.gif

From what I remember, our last outing took place the end of March. This year might be a different animal with the recent temperature fluctuations and snowmelt. We might be in for an earlier run. dunno.gif

I'll be watching this thread. Pa would be another option.
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#10 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:15 PM

i did just a little bit of checking for lodging in the baldwin area. the hiawatha (sp?) lodge runs 50 a night per person. and they seem to have openings for most of march and april. though i bet they fill pretty fast with warm weather approaching.

here is a link to their webpage

other than that it looks like a bunch of motels or hotels in the surronding areas. i think something where we can all gather before and or after our fishing is done to tell lies and swap patterns needs to be thought about.

as far as a weekend goes, i have to agree with shoe. the chance of a quick spring warmup isnt out of the question and the run should be earlier this year (at least looking at the weather we are having the last few weeks)

remember the fly fishing show is the weekend of march 12 (i believe), though that might be a little early, lets try to plan around that one. i would have to say the weekend of march 25th (friday) or possibly april 8th (another friday) would be a good starting point for debate.

#11 Foersterhunter

Foersterhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:55 PM

some how i will make it either weekend

#12 Dripster

Dripster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:45 PM

I think I will have to be game for this one. If Shoe is going then there will be a good time had by all.
Dan

#13 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:21 AM

after talking to shoe the other day, it was brought to my attention that the weekend of march 25th is easter. i know i will not be able to get away for an extended (more than one day) trip for this one. so i guess it bounces back to april 1st. and all of the following weekends.

i found out from a doctor last week that i may be going in for back surgery, so i cannot guarantee if i can make it or not. i dont know when i will know what is up for sure, but when i do, you better believe i will be fishing every weekend up until i get the knife smile.gif.

anyways, we need to plan on a date so we can get a place to stay reserved and what not.

#14 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:28 AM

As far as a date, the weather this year is all wacky here in MI, it gets warm, then we get a few inches of snow and then it warms back up. My point is that with that kind f weather pattern, there probably won't be a major melt, and it seems, coming from my rookie perspective that there won't be one better weekend than another, I'm guessing based on that that the run will be very spread out, so probably any weekend will be good. I don't know much about this stuff yet, but thats what common sense is telling me.

#15 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:51 AM

So is anything gonna happen with this?