Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Tie your Own leaders?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Poll: How many of you out there tie your own leaders? What is your favorite recipie

How many of you out there tie your own leaders? What is your favorite recipie

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Hot Tuna

Hot Tuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:00 PM

I like the UniBody leader which Gary Borger presented in Presentation wink.gif
4 feet .020 Maxima chameleon
1 foot .013 Maxima chameleon
4 feet .010 Maxima
To this add tippett of your choice(I use Orvis super strong) 6 to 8 inches for nymphing and 2 to 4 feet of tippett for dry fly fishing. My friend Jeff Passante also recommends this leader in his excellent little book on fishing the Housatonic(Amato, 1998)
Try it you'll like it...
Hot Tuna

#32 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:22 AM

I produce furled leaders for my shop and another one, and standard for myself and shop.. bugeyes.gif

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#33 flycaster

flycaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:45 PM

I may give the Borger a try this year. I enjoy tying my own, and checking out different formulas. When I want quick and easy for trout fishing, I tie on a store bought 7 1/2' 4x leader (usually S.A.- seems to work best for this), and add a goodly length of 5-6x tippet. Works well.

Chuck

#34 kerrye

kerrye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:37 PM

I have made my own furled leaders for several years and literally have used nothing else. Recently, I found an entry on a forum about the shorb loop and have started using it on my leaders. BIG improvement. tongue.gif

#35 Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:23 PM

I use furled leaders on my single hand rods. I do tie my own leaders for the two handers though.

#36 Worstcaster

Worstcaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:26 AM

I tried tying my own this year. I don't think I used the right lengths and diameters, so they did not work out as wel as I had hoped. Previously I just used straight monofiliment.

#37 beaverfsu

beaverfsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:03 AM

I am suprised at the number of Forum Members that use pre-mades....For myself, tieing my-own gives me better control over the ultimate goal of getting the fly on the water.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan circa 1985

#38 ron P.

ron P.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:03 PM

I tie my own leaders simply because it takes me less time to nail knot up three descending 6X , 4X , 2X sections than it is to contrive a loop to loop connection to my flyline!

blink.gif

#39 cutthroat.trout

cutthroat.trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

For trout I've been using purchased tapered leaders, and for warmwater I use the butt ends of my trout tapered leaders and then tie on appropriate lengths of mono or fluoro after that.

Yesterday I tried my first furled leader, to see if I wanted to try my hand at furling my own. It worked great on my 8 weight for tossing huge pike streamers. I was impressed. Looks like I'll be looking for a good set of furling board plans.

Until recently I always attached my leaders to the inside of the core of my fly line with a needle and CA glue. I've always like the way it made fighting fish in a belly boat so brainless because you don't have anything to impede your line/leader connection.

Just tried whipping a loop into my fly line two nights ago and I think it works great. I'd say 85% as snag free on the rod guides. That's good enough for me.
--cutthroat.trout

#40 mrcaddis

mrcaddis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

Question on furled leaders:
How do you construct a furled leader?
Does anyone have a link to a site that shows how it is constructed?

Thanks in advance!
Dazzle 'em with your hooks not your looks!!

#41 flycaster

flycaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:21 PM

Try this link: http://globalflyfish.../henk/henk1.htm. It's several pages of step by step.

Chuck

#42 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,371 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

furled leaders

http://www.furledlea...rled-leader.pdf

The fish care less than we do!

#43 mrcaddis

mrcaddis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:07 PM

Flycaster & Flytire,
Thanks for the links, it helped out great deal.
Dazzle 'em with your hooks not your looks!!

#44 CM_Stewart

CM_Stewart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:42 PM

mrcaddis,

Try this one, too: http://www.hatchesma...age/may2006/185
Tenkara Bum

#45 flyfishingtaz

flyfishingtaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:35 PM

I voted tie my own, cause I do tie em occasionally. But as of lately I have been buying furled leaders as they last me a lot longer if they dont get broke off.
I love farm ponds!! You can catch gills all day, and not care about hooking into a bigger

MY BLOG