Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hardyrod1974

Best's "Production Fly Tying" comparing editions

Gentlemen,

I'm close to buying a copy of A K Best's "Production Fly Tying".

Can anyone here give me some hints as to some of the differences in the 3 different versions that are available 1989, 2003 & 2015?

I'll assume there are differences in the quality of the photographs but beyond that is there enough "new" information to warrant paying about $25 for the 2015 version vs. about $6 for the 1989 version or $13 or so for the 2003 copy?

Thank you in advance.

Richard

Bought mine in 1989 and I can't offer a comparison to the later editions, but the book layed the foundation for my tying. Thread control and proportion - Mr. Best and Charlie Craven were/are two of the tyers who stress those principles and they've really helped me. I don't think you could go wrong in whichever version of the book you buy.

Regards,

Scott

2015 edition should contain additional information not contained in the previous versions? no?

That would be my choice of which one to buy

flytire

My concern is what more do I get for my $25 vs. $6.

If it's only nicer pictures, I'll get the $6 copy and use the $19 for something else.

Having been described as a cheap bass turd ... I'd go with the $6.00 copy. If you're getting it just to have a copy, go with the original. wink.png

If you're getting it for the patterns and recipes, there are ... what? ... several dozen patterns dry.png online, with video instructions on how to tie them.

If I had to guess, I would say Hardyrod1974 is buying the book for its information on chair selection, desk height, etc. (per my recommendation in his "What Do You Sit On?" thread in this same forum).

As I recall, A.K. did not recommend a specific chair, but a specific type of chair in the original version of the book. That may or may not have changed in later versions.

Byron,

Yes about the chair/ desk info but also the tying tips he would have to offer.

I've found I can still tie a decent fly but I'd like to go faster and there is a lot I still don't know.

Videos have their place, however I like books better.

Hardyrod -- I would imagine any version of A.K.'s book would be beneficial to you. If it were me, and I were looking for tying tips in addition to the chair/ergonomics recommendations, I'd spend the extra $19 and get the most recent one, but that's just me.

I imagine the newer versions probably contain, as you speculated, updated photos, and they may contain tips on tying more of the newer fly patterns. Whichever one you end up deciding on, it's an excellent book. I owned it and consulted it regularly for years, then loaned it out and never got it back. This discussion has gotten me thinking it's about time I replace my copy...

richard

pm me your email address and i will send you a .pdf or microsoft word copy of some fly tying tips and tricks i have been working on

it wont make you a faster tyer (which i see no reason why tyers need speed when quality is more important unless youre a commercial tyer) but may give you other ideas

books dont make anybody speed tyers. time at the vise tying flies can do that

CDjTrS8.jpg

i dont think the second or third editions of bests book will have the photos completely redone but may have added new chapters. so i still advise on the latest edition

I prefer books over video every time, not familiar with the book mentioned, but if buying any reference book/text book I have found that hard covers are much better over the long haul. Regardless of edition the hard cover is worth twice what the soft cover is.