Fly Tying
Li'lDave

Flats Fly Swap

So I guess we're targeting permit, bonefish, jacks (trevally), tarpon and anything else equally at home on the shallow tidal flats....

I'll limit it to 6 tyers plus my self and everyone will tie 2 sets of different flies (6ea), OR 2 sets of the same fly (so we'll tie 12 in total). Anything goes as long as it can be used on the flats.... You wont get any of yours back.

All the usual rules apply... Please send reply paid coupons if you can, or US$.. But whatever really because we'll be able to come up with something to get your sets back to you.

Due date will be to me in Australia by 14 March 2012.

SM: Flats master & Baited breath - DONE

1. Bluegill576: withdrew. Next time mate.

2. Famill00: clouser minnows x2 - RECEIVED :D :D

Received :D

3. Eaglerapids: cockroach tarpon fly & bunny leach - RECEIVED :D :D . Received :D

4. Chefben4: coupon crabs... - RECEIVED :D :D

5. agn54: merkin + TBD - RECEIVED :D :D. Received :D

6. JaxFlyTyer: - RECEIVED :D :D. Received :D

SWAP FULL!

ALL SETS WILL BE ON THEIR WAY BACK TO YOU BY 16 MARCH!! THANKS ALL FOR YOUR FANTASTIC SETS!

Looking forward to it guys n girls.. as this year I want to spend much more time on the flats!

You're in mate... Please choose an additional fly ... Unless you want to do 2 colours..

Thanks for being the first!

All good mate. Was trying to minimise tiers and maximise flies...

If you want to tie 2 bonefish specials that is more than fine with me.

Sorry for confusion.

So... have tied a couple of each and am ready for tomorrows flats trip... Hopefully even if I'm not successful I'll be able to post a couple of pics for ya's...

It's potentially a great swap .... I reckon that the flies will arrive back on your doors just about ready for the flats season....

Can someone explain to me the reply coupons? Id love to get into this for my first swap. I read the rules and the information on the reply coupons but some of it dates many years back.

I will play even though I live about a bazillion miles away from any flats. Well, there are flats in Lake Michigan here in the USA but they fish for carp on those. Anyways, I am currently reading Bob Clouser's "Fly fishing for bass in streams and rivers" right now and he mentioned the Clouser Minnow being universal with both fresh and saltwater. I will tie two different Clouser Minnows. I would like your suggestions though. What would you guys prefer? Options below:

1) Same size and color, but one with bead chain eyes the other with lead eyes (slow and fast sinking)

2) Same color but 2 different sizes (small and large)

3) Same size but 2 different colors (bright and natural)

Please let me know what you would prefer! This will give me an excuse to order some more buck tails....

Thanks,

Forrest

Welcome Forrest!

I personally prefer a bit of weight on my flats clousers..

I reckon 2 of the same size but different colours would be great!

Can someone explain to me the reply coupons? Id love to get into this for my first swap. I read the rules and the information on the reply coupons but some of it dates many years back.

They give you enough for 1 2.50 stamp. Dont stress too much coz many places dont sell them any more.

Youre in if you want mate. we'll sort postage out later. Just give me the word and youre no. 4 on the list.

Li'lDave, I'd love to get in on this if you will have me. I'm still deciding on what I'll tie if I can get in.

You're in mate! Welcome

Thank you Li'lDave.

I'll tie the Cockroach Tarpon Fly and a Bunny Leech with dumbbell eyes for some weight (on the Bunny Leech).