Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

What system do you use to identify what fly line is on a reel?

I have 2 reels and 3 lines that are not in their original boxes. I am having problems identifying what lines I have; I know I have a WF5F, a FIPS Euro Nymph#2-5 and a WF5I (Rio Lake Series Sub-surface). All are freshwater, and all are Rio products.

How do you identify the lines once they are on a reel? Some kind of tag? Suggestions would greatly appreciated.

I also use Lefty's method of marking my lines. Lefty's method is one wide stripe = 5, and a thin stripes = 1, so a 7 wt line would have 3 marker rings, one wide and two thin on the line tip.

If the wide stripe is toward the front of the line, it is a WF 7; if the thin stripe is toward the front, then it is a DT 7. Some markings will be symmetrical like a 4 wt or a 5 wt and you cannot use the marking placement to tell a WF from a DT. But you can use different colors of permanent markers.

34883061594_5d77769c07_z.jpg

Read the post by flyguy100 for a method of using different thread colors to identify different types of fly line. Maybe you could do something similar to develop your own fly line code. The post is the second from last on this page:

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/1904-keeping-track-fly-lines.html

the little sticker that comes on the line spool. stick it to the inside of the spool if there is room or to the reel foot

spool.jpg

label.jpg

I know it's too late for this, since you've already got the lines out of the boxes. But when I put a new line on a reel, I find one of the stickers on the box or the spool the line came on. I've always been able to find on that peeled off without losing the glue backing.

I then stick that on the reel, usually under the foot. (so it sits between the foot and the reel seat) I am sure, if you use multiple lines on the same reel (with more than one spool), then you can find somewhere within the spool to put the sticker.

Like flytire, inside of spool on the removable/spare spools, but on the cheaper reels that don't easily come apart I put the sticker on the outside face of the spool, mikechell's under the foot would work for these too and be more attractive possibly.

If the line didn't come with a sticky label, office supply peel and stick labels such as flytire's picture come a small square size that works well, or as I did for years use a small piece of masking tape as the sticker- write the info while tape is still on the roll for best result.

When I load the reel I glue a tag to the underneath side of the reel foot that identifies the weight and the rod the reel is matched to. The only time I would change spools is from a WF to SF. I don't change spools with different weights.

lineID.jpg

at one time line makers marked the line with identification

i think scientific angler still id's their fly lines

SA_SAID-LIGHT-BOX.jpg

I use to do the permanent marker thing like Silvercreek showed, but I always had problems with the marks coming off after awhile. I might have to do like Mike suggested and put the marks under the reel foot and see how that does.

I have five lines all different colors. I have them memorized what is what, but I also have the exact specs written down in a general book I keep around. 3 of my lines are used and had to weigh them to figure out the line weights, so then I figure while I had the scale out, I'd weigh the new lines to see how accurately they came out compared to the manufactures rating.

Jeff

I wonder how old that S.A. statement on that box is, flytire. Is that a new box?

Funny, to me, that is states, " ... an innovative line marking system ... ".

1981, I was working on C-130 aircraft. They'd already been in service for about 30 years at that time. There was more than 140 miles of wire, all of it white, and all of it marked with alpha-numeric code every 6 inches.

I'm not sure who "innovated" Scientific Anglers' markings, but I'm pretty sure it was already around by that time.

I'm not sure if they still mark some of their lines, but the two lines I bought when Gander Mountain went out don't have any markings.

The "Lefty" markings I used weren't permanent either eventually I think the line absorbed the ink, I have one line left from that long ago experiment and it is now 'camo' for a couple three feet. I also marked a line at the 35' spot with a 3" wide band of magic marker and that spread to about three feet over the years while fading from black to tan.

I don't think I have any any SA line currently, but in the late '70s-mid '80s their Supreme was about all I used and none of them were marked like that.

When I have two reels alike and 7-8 spools that fit them each with different lines by weight, density, profile or manufacturer the marking needs to be on the spool and needs to be semi- permanent (it will eventually change) and the office supply memo stickers or painter's masking tape have worked best.

The first line I ever saw with factory markings on it was from Cortland... and haven't seen any others (but I only very use specific fly line makes so I'm not widely exposed to many different brands..). I too use the Sharpy pen ( the permanent sharpies do leave a permanent mark...) marking system - and it seems to work quite well - when I remember to mark the line... I've always thought of it as Chico Fernandez's marking system since it was mentioned in an article by him... when I first heard of it.

Fishing the saltwater portions of the Everglades is very hard on fly lines so I rarely have many lines that last for long (I'm happy if I get a good year's service from a floating line, and we actually lose entire intermediate lines to big un-stoppable tarpon in relatively small rivers). Given that I keep five line sizes in service (7-12wts) and some of the sizes are on more than one rod it's been very handy to be able to pick up any line that's no longer on a reel and identify it's size. We only use weight forward lines - either in floating or full intermediate sizes. Since you can easily distinguish the difference between a floater and an intermediate line just looking at it the only thing in question is the line's size...

One of the advantages I've gotten after years of guiding is that I actually have two reels for every rod size - one winding right hand, the other winding left hand so I can quickly set up the rods we'll be using to suit my angler's needs...

Call Rio and ask if the lines can be distinguished by color. Otherwise, those three lines should be distinguishable by taper so consult Rio's web site.