Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Tangled up flyline on floor of boat?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jbrowning

jbrowning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:42 PM

I have a 14' flatbottom that I fish out of. I have only spin fished out of it, but I am wanting to start flyfishing out of it this summer. What can I use to catch the flyline (while I am casting) so it doesn't get tangled in my feet on the floor of the boat? I am thinking of a box of some sort or is there something I can wear around my waist?

Like always. Thanks for your alls help.

Jim

#2 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:47 PM

Stripping Basket
user posted image

#3 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:38 PM

There are a couple of things you can do. It is a problem in any boat, but especially when it is windy. A stripping basket is one way, a 5 gal. bucket will work too. If you use a bucket (or something else) make sure you put something on the bottom to keep the line coils from tangling. Some people use 100# mono. They poke about a dozen holes thru the bottom and then pull the mono thru the holes and epoxy them in place. Leave the mono 2 or 3 inches long.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#4 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:40 PM

Go barefoot! Don't laugh... it helps!

#5 Sippy

Sippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:48 PM

Don't ask me how, but I managed to get my fly line wrapped in the swivel seat in the front of Shoe's driftboat this summer. bugeyes.gif Really wrapped, like in the grease by the bearings wrapped. What a mess, lol.
You can spend a fortune on premium feathers and it doesn't mean you'll tie a perfect fly. It just means you have the materials from a good looking chicken.

#6 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:42 PM

I say the 5 gallon bucket. Been a staple with alot of fly fisherman here in the South Sound for years. Cheap, easy, and holds ALOT of line. LOL.

#7 jbrowning

jbrowning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:19 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. But what is the 100# mono for in the bucket? I don't see how that is going to keep the line from tangling up.

Thanks
Jim (newbie to flyfishing in a boat)

#8 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (Sippy @ Jan 10 2005, 10:48 PM)
Don't ask me how, but I managed to get my fly line wrapped in the swivel seat in the front of Shoe's driftboat this summer. bugeyes.gif Really wrapped, like in the grease by the bearings wrapped. What a mess, lol.

Ah hell, just cut it... laugh.gif laugh.gif

I have to agree with Peddler. It does work and will also help you find that sculpin that you lost the day before crying.gif
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#9 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 02:55 PM

Another vote for the 5 gal bucket - with the 100# mono.

Just be careful in C&R waters you tend to get more attention with the bucket.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#10 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,950 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (jbrowning @ Jan 11 2005, 09:18 AM)
Thanks everyone for your input. But what is the 100# mono for in the bucket? I don't see how that is going to keep the line from tangling up.

Thanks
Jim (newbie to flyfishing in a boat)

The mono helps to keep the line from tangleing by keeping it from wraping over itself and twisting all up, it sort of "holds it still".

Along those same lines alot of guys do the same thing with the front of the knee brace on a drift boat. They will take a rubber mat and poke a bunch of holes in it then thread 100# mono through the holes so they stick out about 3-5". Then they glue the matt down on the deck in front of the knee brace and it keeps the line from tangleing and sliding all around.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#11 Duffin Boy

Duffin Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:31 PM

Get a plastic basket Like a smaller laundry basket and get some Plastic ties like electricians use to keep wires together.
Attach them in the bottom ribs so the straight ends poke up like spikes in the bottom of the basket. They will keep the line coils separate and untangled until you cast again.
If you get the right basket, you can feed a belt through the top and wear it around your waist like a more expensive stripping basket.

Cheers
Duff

Hey Sean.... Strongbad don't Nap!!!!!!
My Biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead)
will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

-- Koos Brandt

#12 jbrowning

jbrowning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:59 PM

I'm sorry for being so dense. But I'm still not seeing how the mono or the plastic ties keep the line from tangling. dunno.gif Does anyone want to try to explain this to me.

Thanks
Jim

#13 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:11 PM

You strip the fly line into a basket bucket or whatever you have and it don't become tangled around your feet also the line stays cleaner and doesn’t pick up dirt and sand which also helps for longer casts.
The twist ties are so you can coil the line in whatever you are using to prevent knots

OSD.
user posted image

#14 Duffin Boy

Duffin Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:10 PM

user posted image
This is a product on the market, but the plastic ties should be attached through the bottom slats of the basket and point up like the cones in this basket.
On second thought, Cabelas sell one for $20 I think, maybe an option.
Cheers
Duff
My Biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead)
will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

-- Koos Brandt

#15 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:31 PM

Strong Bad don't nap he's passed out from too many Cold Ones.

Remember kids a One that Isn't Cold is hardly a One at all.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974