Fly Tying
Triplef

Renzetti . . . absolutely! But which one?

Back in 1984-6 (I think) I bought a Renzetti vice from one of my favorite fly shop in Charlotte, NC. No box . . . I was just told it was a Renzetti. I honestly had never heard of a Renzetti before but they let me tie a few flies on the vice and I was sold! My eyes got bad and I gave this vice to one son and purchased a Renzetti Traveler for my other son.

Years go by. My sons' still fly fish with a passion, but no longer tie flies. And after a few unique eye operations (Thank you UNC and DUKE!) I can see well again and I'm back tying flies!!

But after sending my first vice back to Renzetti, questions have arisen!!

Renzetti agrees that the stems and heads are both Renzetti stems and heads . . . but they differ! But Renzetti says they have never made a pedestal out of brass! BUT . . . the old stem has been milled out to make everything fit nicely! (The Traveler stem is more narrow than the older stem!

None of this matters! I have two Renzetti vices that are 100% perfect! But the older one has a pedestal that has a brass fitting to the stem (which Renzetti says they have never done except on Presentation 400 or Master Vices!!).

My guess is that the older vice I have is a "prototype version" of the Traveler vice. Renzetti doesn't believe the older pedestal is theirs (although the stem has been milled out to make everything fit! perfectly).

None of this matters at all! I'm totally happy with both vices! But I just think it's interesting and perhaps I have a Renzetti prototype vice . . . that is pretty cool!

Maybe someone out there has more information . . .

post-55558-0-81936300-1466547745_thumb.jpg

post-55558-0-54655200-1466550862_thumb.jpg

post-55558-0-72978600-1466550864_thumb.jpg

post-55558-0-71896500-1466550866_thumb.jpg

post-55558-0-54295600-1466550868_thumb.jpg

Back in 1984-6 (I think) I bought a Renzetti vice from one of my favorite fly shop in Charlotte, NC. No box . . . I was just told it was a Renzetti. I honestly had never heard of a Renzetti before but they let me tie a few flies on the vice and I was sold! My eyes got bad and I gave this vice to one son and purchased a Renzetti Traveler for my other son.

Years go by. My sons' still fly fish with a passion, but no longer tie flies. And after a few unique eye operations (Thank you UNC and DUKE!) I can see well again and I'm back tying flies!!

But after sending my first vice back to Renzetti, questions have arisen!!

Renzetti agrees that the stems and heads are both Renzetti stems and heads . . . but they differ! But Renzetti says they have never made a pedestal out of brass! BUT . . . the old stem has been milled out to make everything fit nicely! (The Traveler stem is more narrow than the older stem!

None of this matters! I have two Renzetti vices that are 100% perfect! But the older one has a pedestal that has a brass fitting to the stem (which Renzetti says they have never done except on Presentation 400 or Master Vices!!).

My guess is that the older vice I have is a "prototype version" of the Traveler vice. Renzetti doesn't believe the older pedestal is theirs (although the stem has been milled out to make everything fit! perfectly).

None of this matters at all! I'm totally happy with both vices! But I just think it's interesting and perhaps I have a Renzetti prototype vice . . . that is pretty cool!

Maybe someone out there has more information . . .

Sorry these pictures got flipped somehow! Not sure how to fix that!!!

Two possibilities besides "prototype".

It's a knock off from some other company trying to get into the market (which may or may not still be in business) OR,

Somebody hand made the parts to duplicate the vice, and your Dad got some of the duplicate parts.

As you said, none of it matters if you're happy with what you have.

I like all Renzetti vises, have two of each type.

Really like your Chris Reeve Inkosi knife on the bench.

Regards,

FK

Two possibilities besides "prototype".

It's a knock off from some other company trying to get into the market (which may or may not still be in business) OR,

Somebody hand made the parts to duplicate the vice, and your Dad got some of the duplicate parts.

As you said, none of it matters if you're happy with what you have.

Renzetti has agreed that both stems and heads are 100% Renzetti! What just makes no sense to me is that the original stem was milled out especially to fit the original pedestal base. But you're right . . . I'm 100% happy!

I like all Renzetti vises, have two of each type.

Really like your Chris Reeve Inkosi knife on the bench.

Regards,

FK

I'm blown away that you KNEW that was a Chris Reeve Inkosi!!!

Triplef,

I am a long time fan of Chris Reeve folders, owned 8 at different times in the past.

Fly rods are so expensive,, the Sebenza and Mnandi knives are long gone.

Regards,

FK

renzetti%20notch_zps5oib41vp.jpg

the machined notch on the stem was on my 1980's version of the traveler and was used for a pedestal application. the retaining screw on the pedestal would go in the notch and prevent the pedestal from falling off when lifted

the pedestal does not appear to be renzetti

the brass object that positions the thread rest could be a later version but my 1980's version was aluminum as shown below

my 80's renzetti looked like this

s-l1600.jpg

Triplef,

I am a long time fan of Chris Reeve folders, owned 8 at different times in the past.

Fly rods are so expensive,, the Sebenza and Mnandi knives are long gone.

Regards,

FK

My Chris Reeve's are limited . . . The Inkosi is for me to use! A small Sebenza with Box Elder burel inlays to pass to my daughter and a "Pheasant Tail" large Sebenza for my son.

The brass parts could also be from the Presentation 3000/4000 series which was another name in the early 1980's

The pedestal base is not Renzetti definitely after market.

The lower groove in the aluminum stem is typical Renzetti early Traveler for the pedestal base.

Regards,

FK

I had a small Sebenza Pheasant Tail,,,, really regret selling it, they are long discontinued.

Regards,

FK

All it would take would be a bored machinist and some free time to make or modify an aftermarket base. I keep threatening to "borrow" the manual machines at work to make some "stuff". The company does not discourage personal projects as long as you are not on the clock or holding up production. Plenty of scrap metal laying around too.

I guess the frustrating part is I bought this from a Renzetti dealer. If the pedestal is after-market I had no idea. And I'm pretty disappointed in that Renzetti dealer!!

But like I keep telling myself . . . it really shouldn't matter . . . the vice is awesome and I've used it to tie 1,000's of flies!

Ah, that changes things. I've seen vices in shops where bases had been swapped around by customers messing around with them (according to shop owner). Clerk should have caught that if that is what happen in your case. Like you said though, it works and you are happy with it. Call it a unique collectors edition!