Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Best Fibers?

So far I have only used EP, but have a shipment of super fiber coming in. Also Kudu was nice enough and included a pack of Congo Hair in my envelope from the Keys Swap. I am aware that Congo and Super fiber are very cheap, while EP is very expensive. But I have seen countless of other fiber/synthetics like yak hair, angel hair, super hair and the list goes on and on and on and on(get the point?)

So the question is, what is your favorite/best fiber for an all around purpose?

I have only tried 1 so I am not entitled to respond, but 99% of the rest of you are.

Share your thoughts

FlatsRoamer

I use mainly Mirror Image for most of my bait fish patterns, but use Ultra Hair for my Surf Candies. I buy packs of the colors I use then blend the flash material into them. For smaller patterns 1 to 3 inches, I've started using the Senyo Lazer Dubbing.

There are too many patterns and too many different fibers to have an all around top one for me. May are quite different and have their uses. For instance, you can tie a baitfish pattern using the same hi/lo technique as an EP minnow with other fibers such as SF Flash blend, polar fiber, craft fur, etc. and end up with a very different but often equally effective fly. Some fibers float more than others, sometimes you want that, sometimes you don't. You have entered into the world of fly tying, accumulate as many as you can over the course of the next several years and see what you can make of them.

With all that said, craft fur should be a staple in every saltwater tier's drawer

What agn said.

This is like your hook question, arbitrary to the point of being meaningless.

Next thread: What's your favorite hair/fur/feather/thread? Do you prefer bucktail or Ice Dub? Which is better: flashabou or dubbing wax?

I have some kinky type nylons for bait fish that are awesome for minnows,but double as wings on my midge patterns.Honestly hate fake hair so I use arctic fox instead....I love it

I like the Polar fibers and I like Syn -Yak but I also like craft fur. Now I don't know if todays craft fur is exactly like mine or not, mine was named Fly Fur but it came on that carpet backing kind of like Wapsi is doing these days. I have bunches of the old Fly Fur so no need to be buying more of that at this point. It was very affordable in "the day" so to speak. But only good for smaller streamers which is why I bought it in the first place. With Syn Yak you could tie a fly a foot long if you wanted to I bet. Also Syn Yak kind of blends in the water like you might expect of a bait fish on ( thinking salmon on smelt), so a touch of flash makes it attractive I think. I put a bead up front, maybe a strip pf crystal flash on the side, use a couple or three colors of Syn Yak. Pretty happy with the results.

I have some other crinkly generic stuff in yellow I'm not too hepped up on, I won't even get up to look the name up cause you don't need it ! It's very fine sort of crinkled fibers, though long fibers.

Flats have you gotten involved with any of your local fly clubs and or shops yet? Most have meetings for beginners and others to learn how to tie flies and supply various materials to learn with as you go along. About 90% of what I tie I learned at Harry Goode's tackle store in Melbourne at their monthly classes.

Not only will you learn more about flies themselves, hooks and materials but you get to pick the brains of the experienced people involved. And best of all it will apply to the local waters you are currently living around.

Saltybum, fantastic idea! I don't know which fly shop is close to him, but I just googled Miami fly shops and the Fly shop of Miami does offer tying lessons.

Dang Cold, you're sure cold. Pouring ice water on the poor Flats threads. Flats, definitely check out the Mad Scientists at http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/ Some of the best prices on the board and good quality hair of many types. Their Congo Hair is great for almost anything using hair. Check into their package deals. The Congo Hair package would set you up for years. Really.

They also have packages for about anything you could ask for. I got one of their packages a year ago and have given half and still have more left than I'll ever use.

http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/gift_boxes.htm#Baitfish_Box_2_(Freshwater)

I don't suppose I am qualified to answer this either. Wife bought me two of www.flytyersdungeon.com 's Christmas Packages. So, I have only used one brand of synthetic hair ... Congo hair.