Fly Tying
Fisherboy0301

Reptiles!

Got to survey for one of the Southeastern United States' most endangered snakes today! Also got to play around with a camera that was my girlfriends. Its a canon. That is all I know. It is much better than my iPhone 7. Bonus points to anyone who can idenitfy these species. Please no anti-snake comments. If you have any reptile or amphibian photos you would like to share, post them below.

Indigo Survey 2-16-18 016.JPG

Indigo Survey 2-16-18 018.JPG

Indigo Survey 2-16-18 032.JPG

Indigo Survey 2-16-18 027.JPG

Indigo Survey 2-16-18 036.JPG

Not sure what species but cool looking turtle smile.png I've always like them. Bought my Niece a ERS back about 5 years ago, it's gotten HUGE now. Probably a soild 12"-13" across it's shell.

The black snake is an Indigo. I moved to Florida with the hopes of seeing one of those. Not a one in 26 years.

A gopher Tortoise ... we had two living in our yard for a while.

The Rattler is a Diamondback ... beautiful and deadly.

Nice pics. Always was interested in snakes and other reptiles and amphibians.

Nice Mike. Indeed that's all correct. That rattler was the first Diamondback I've ever encountered. An awe inspiring experienced I won't soon forget.

How about these guys?

IMG_6183.JPG

IMG_6179.JPG

IMG_6171.JPG

qUxlqS.jpg

Thought you might like to see this Bronc. Here's a pic of Tammy the RES turtle I was telling you I bought my Niece some years back. She thought it was "Timmy" until just 6 months ago when it laid eggs. So now it's Tammy lol

American Anole ... Becoming somewhat rare where the Brown Anole populations are booming. I see many more of them along the waters I fish, than I do at my house.

#2 appears to be a Common Snapping Turtle ... but it also appears to be a young one.

Last one is an American Toad ... well, a pair of them ready to "make whoopie" !!!

Here's a couple of the snakes I've met.

little rattler 2.JPG

Brown Water Snake.JPG

Nice Steve, yes sexing turtles can be difficult. I used to keep a RES as well as a Florida softshell. Will look for pics.

Nice Mike! The snapper was fully grown. About as long as my boot (a little over 14") and very feisty. I pulled it off a 4 lane highway.

The toads are southern toads, a close relative of the American Toad.

Beautiful Diamondback. Can you share the approximate location and backstory to that?

And also a gorgeous water snake. Looks to be a Florida green Watersnake. I've yet to see one of those.

The rattler was swimming in a small channel off a small lake called Lake Dupont in Deltona. It is also an old picture from several years ago. Even with this Summer's rain, that lake is still so low there's no public access right now.

I am not sure about the Water Snake. I couldn't get a clear view to determine if it's a Green or Brown.

Nice Mike! The snapper was fully grown. About as long as my boot (a little over 14") and very feisty. I pulled it off a 4 lane highway.

Wow! Nice specimen. Turtles that size usually have scars and moss growing on them.

Snappers (as well as softshells) spend so much time burrying in the muck and sand that moss doesn't get enough sunlight to grow, and the shell is kept pretty well polished. Basically being wet sanded 24/7. He did have a few leeches, visible on the back edge of the shell, above the tail.

American Anole ... Becoming somewhat rare

What are you talking about Mike? I've been dealing with them for years this place is full of American Anole's...oh wait, I thought you said something else happy.pnglaugh.png

I always wonder if armadillos eat some young snakes along with the worms they hunt. Habitat hasn't changed that much here in the last 40 years and we have lots less snakes now of all kinds. See very few road kills. It has to be either the armadillos or the increase of raptors because those are the new things here that could prey on snakes.

Unless some disease is getting them?