Fly Tying

December 2011: Flies from the Vise

Looks like the November topic went fairly well so lets keep rolling with this new monthly format.

You guys know the drill, post a reply with your most recent creations. Feel free to add any info about the fly you want(why your tying it, material list, etc). Also, comments and questions to the tiers that post flies are encouraged as well.

Have fun and since this is December I expect to see a lot of participation this month!

Territorial Micro Shrimp

Ingredients :

Mustad C47S D, Shrimp Hook, size 8

Danville's Ultra Fine Monofilament

Leadfree Round Wire .015

Black Beadchain Small

Rabbit Shrimp Pink

Krystal Flash UV Tan

Mono Eyes

Micro Polar Chenille UV Hot Pink

EP Fiber Bronze & Sand

Tied : Shrimpy, a few SBS's around where this is just a variation on a shrimp fly and a crazy charly, swims hook point up and when you roll it like a dice it lands hook point up.

PC060887.jpg

A whole swarm of them!

PC060880.jpg

Jam, those are little beauties!! Those mono eyes are pretty consistent, did you make them yourself? They look to perfect and round for the traditional melt. I make them with little black plastic round beads but just wondered how you do yours.

I like your pics too.

Nice job.

Kirk

Finished off another basswood popper last night:

DSC_0240-1.jpg

The paint colors for this one were:

-Body: metallic moss pearl

-Face: metallic bright red

-Eyes: white/black

-Spots: metallic black, larger ones "halo'd" with metallic gold

-Sparkle Glaze/epoxy/Hard as Hull

Tying recipe:

-Weed Guard: 50lb mono

-Tail: bucktail (gray/olive), copper/black flash, grizzly saddles

-Wrap: olive Ice Chenille

-Legs: barred rubber legs, gold/black

To the best of my knowledge, this fly was developed by Tony Accardo of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It could have been Peckinpaugh, though.

This is a slow sinking fly and great for suspended panfish that just don't want to come all the way to the surface for a floater. Tying some up for late winter warm spells and spring, which down here tend to overlap for a couple months.

Kirk

BREAM GUINEA

Materials:

Hook: Traditional nymph hook such as Mustad 3906b or equiv.

Body: Crystal Antron Chenille (Cascade Crest Tools)The picture doesn't show it but this chenille has little tiny pieces of pearlescent mylar that adds a nice subtle sparkle. You could of course use what ever chenille you have on hand.

Legs: Micro Round Silicone (Cascade Crest Tools) The toughest silicone legs I've found, again you can use what ever silicone or rubber legs you have on hand.

Topping: Guinea Fowl feather

DSC_1841-2.jpg

kirk

this site has the bream guinny as accadaro but i dont know much about them

http://breambugs.com/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=59

Correct, that is why I asked on my post over on WarmFly, if anyone knew the orginator. Stippled replied that Accardo may have purchased the name from Peckinpaugh of the famous (at least in the south) Peck's Popper; but he was not certain. So, to cover my bases, I just put the current name owner with the possibility of another originator.

Thanks,

Kirk

Jam, those are little beauties!! Those mono eyes are pretty consistent, did you make them yourself? They look to perfect and round for the traditional melt. I make them with little black plastic round beads but just wondered how you do yours.

I like your pics too.

Nice job.

Kirk

Hi Kirk! I hope they work for little flats critters, perhaps i should make some smaller mono eyes as i think the size 8 hook might be more suited to that. These eyes are just EP eyes as i am in somewhat of a rush at the moment, but if i do need smaller i usually use the CCG method and a good dose of nail polish.

The pictures are getting there, slowly. Only just figured out a few things like if you are using the macro on the little point and shoot that sometimes after when i 'edit' adding a little bit of 'sharpness' helps if it was a bit out of focus. Also using a gorilla pod to help stabilize when shooting, lighting is still getting there too. One day!

Finished off another basswood popper last night:

The paint colors for this one were:

-Body: metallic moss pearl

-Face: metallic bright red

-Eyes: white/black

-Spots: metallic black, larger ones "halo'd" with metallic gold

-Sparkle Glaze/epoxy/Hard as Hull

Tying recipe:

-Weed Guard: 50lb mono

-Tail: bucktail (gray/olive), copper/black flash, grizzly saddles

-Wrap: olive Ice Chenille

-Legs: barred rubber legs, gold/black

Cream , I think you are fast becoming a master on those poppers...2 thumbs up on the pattern!

Whether this actually qualifies as a clouser is debatable....it's small, sparsely winged and I think will work good for a minnow type fly. I think if I tie in a small strip o' lead on the bottom I can get this too ride point up EVERY time :lol:

post-11211-0-64206700-1323300511_thumb.jpg post-11211-0-91553300-1323300538_thumb.jpg

Hook: small red octopus hook (up eye)

Thread: Danville Flymaster 6/0 unwaxed

Eyes: Small gold bead chain (sink stopper chain with red Testor's paint)

Under wing: Green Embroidery Thread (1 strand brushed out)

Wing: Barb side- Dark and Light green bucktail, bellyside- White bucktail

Head coating: "Gorilla " super glue

Tied this for the fall Caddis pupa (October Caddis)

Hook---200R #10-14

Body--- Dk. Honey (Honey Bug Yarn)

Thorax--- Peacock Ice Dub

Hackle--- B.M.F.S. hen hackle

Thread--- tan or brown Danville's flymaster 6/0

post-624-0-02600000-1323357607_thumb.jpg post-624-0-99717300-1323357630_thumb.jpg