Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GC59

Salt Hook Size?

I just recently tied a 3 1/2" deceiver on a #2 hook, normally I would ty it to a 1/0 or 2/0 hook. But recently at a show seminar, the angler giving the seminar said he tys all his flys on smaller hooks because it has resulted in more takes. (the fish can't see them as well) I was just wondering what your thoughts or experiences where as I still have a lot of 1/0 and 2/0 on hand.

Hook size questions are always good one, first think I am thinking upon sitting at the vise

Here is how I play it-

1. I think presentation and tippet size and composition are paramount concerns;

2. For lower, clearer, and slower waters, smaller hooks and less dressing;

3. For stained, deep, or swift waters you can get away with larger sizes.

So those bigger hooks will not go to waste and still have a place. But... all bets are off when fishing waters that have lots of traffic.

I just finished tying up some Peanut Bunker/Shad imitations on a 1/0 Gamakatsu SC15. I had been planning on tying them on a smaller hook, size 1 or 2 but couldn't find the size I wanted at the fly shop I frequent. So I picked up the 1/0 pack, Turned out to be a good choice. I was satisfied with how the 2 1/2" long fly looked on the hook.

post-309-0-60377600-1488136423_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the fish will like it.

I think it comes down to proportions. I started out tying trout flies, and many who taught me emphasized, "proportions" when I was tying them. So when I tie any type of pattern, I still look to see if the proportions look right. Does the fly fit the hook.

Hook size might matter in a finesse pattern, which the Deceiver is not. In salt water or fresh water for that matter, a fish that will hit a Deceiver is not going to be checking for a hook, so I'm not sure using a smaller hook would catch you more fish.

IME, the chief consideration in selecting hook size (outside of pure strength) is how it affects the way a fly swims. Otherwise, tying all your flies on smaller hooks is unlikely to make enough difference to notice. There are situations where fish are being super-critical, but the key is still being able to duplicate the aspects of the forage that the predator is focusing on. If you push the right buttons, there isn't much that's going to distract your quarry. Natural action and presentation are infinitely more important than hook visibility. Fishing in salt water is a far cry from tossing #28 emergers on a Montana spring creek, where one hair too many on a fly is going to make or break your day. All gamefish species approach their prey differently - some will track a fly over distance, and some will attack violently at first glance; and even the same species will react differently under different conditions. Obviously, the longer look a fish has at a fly, the more likely it's going to notice something amiss. Still, Mr. Gamefish is looking to fill his belly, and that's his prime concern. They eat to survive, and the urge to survive is more often than not going to outweigh the presence of a hook as long as the rest of your game is up to snuff. There's no fish in the sea that has better eyesight than a tuna, yet the fly pictured below has taken more tuna for me than anything else I've thrown. If the hook size has had any bearing on the success of the fly, it's sure fooled me.

BTW, on the subject of seminars: Some guys give seminars because they're good at giving seminars; some give seminars to promote books or products; some give seminars because they enjoy working a room. (they're the ones who are the most fun); some do it because it beats the hell out of working. Not all of them are particularly good anglers, although most of them tie pretty nice flies. A good rule of thumb is that if the person giving the seminar is named "Lefty Kreh," take it to the bank. If he (or she) is named something else, take it with a grain of salt. There are some really good people out there working the show circuit, but there are also some who should be asking YOU for advice.

post-281-0-17505100-1488220869_thumb.jpg

While I lack the eloquence of peterjay, I say whoever was giving that seminar just needed something to say. I've been using 1/0 to 3/0 hooks for saltwater flies and teasers for a long time and have never once thought I had to use smaller hooks yet I've said many times that I need to tie with larger larger hooks.

I fish for stripers, blues and flounder and and would consider it absurd to fish a smaller hook because a fish may see the hook. Fish don't know what a hook is. They are either hungry, almost full or full.