Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Why do people look at me so oddly when I'm fly fishing?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:20 AM

Now all the Sage casters are thinking "Is he talking about me?"

Nope, unless they fish around Deckers or Cheesman Canyon, then maybe.

hwew, I was worried for a minute there.

#32 dadofmolly

dadofmolly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:02 PM

Now all the Sage casters are thinking "Is he talking about me?"

Nope, unless they fish around Deckers or Cheesman Canyon, then maybe.

hwew, I was worried for a minute there.

The less than gentleman I'm taking about waded up to the tail of a nice pool that already had 3 guys fishing.  He then proceeded to cast this monster of a fly up stream into the middle of the pool (about 12 to 15') wide.  Maybe with the fly he was using, he thought there might be large Muskies in the pool.  After beating the water to death, chasing all the fish away, he then proceeded to wade upstream on the other side of the pool, he stopped about mid pool and once again beat the water to death both upstream and downstream, concentrating on the fisherman to my right who he had seen land a couple of nice trout; but no muskies.  After he had chased even the fingerlings away he proceeded to wade to the head of the pool then across the pool until he was about 5' from the guy at the head of the pool, once again beating the water.   After no muskies, nor trout or any thing else he headed upstream, in the middle of the stream beating both sides to death.  By the time he had waded to the middle of the pool, all three of us had quit fishing and just watched his style and lack of total concern (and silently laughing).  Saw him much later complaining that there weren't any trout in that stream (yes, he was still using his Muskie fly ( my guess about 6 to 7" long, maybe longer). The reason I called him a Sage guy: Sage hat, Sage shirt, Sage rod, Sage reel, did have Simms waders.  My guess is if Sage made underwear, he would have been wearing those as well (maybe they do and maybe he was wearing them, didn't ask nor did I want to look).  Will say that the 3 of us took a break because all the fish had high tailed else where, but he did provide us with a great source of amusement and laughter.  Not to think all Sage users are like that (have many friends who use Sage) but he looked like what I think of as a make believe guide that is supplied by Sage for advertisement (kind of like the pro golfer that is sponsored by a golf equipment business).

<p>Instead of a sign that says 'do not disturb' I need one that says 'already disturbed, proceed with caution'

I don't call it getting old, I call it outliving the warranty

#33 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:10 AM

There aren't many of us "fairy wanders" in Nebraska either. There are more than you would think actually, but you do get some spectators once in a while.

#34 onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:10 PM

Maybe it's the way you hold your mouth.serenade.gif

#35 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:19 PM

Why?

First, even if you don't know what your looking at fly casting is a thing of beauty.  Every once in a while I'll be fishing with a really accomplished caster nearby and more than once I've stopped for a few minutes just to watch someone who knows what they're doing cast from a distance.  Casting the rod ourselves were robbed of the sight of our (ah-hem) elegant loops rolling gracefully over and landing softly on the water which can be seen from a distance.

Second,I think a lot of people are simply just trying to understand the dynamics of the sport.  If you have a basic understanding of fishing with spinning tackle, watching a fly angler on a stream is going to be confusing.  As a kid out fishing with spinning gear every once in a while someone would show up with a fly rod.  I was always fascinated by them.  Thinking of it now I probably could have been accused of looking at them "funny" too.   We were always trying to cast as far out as we could. These fly fishermen would cast short to long to short, leaving the line on the water for a varying amounts of time in what to me seemed to be a completely haphazard way before casting again.  They did catch fish though and we knew there was more going on than we could deduce from a distance.

"I am not against golf, since I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout."
- Paul O'Neil

#36 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:22 PM

I always just assumed it was because I look weird.

#37 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:37 AM

I always just assumed it was because I look weird.

Mark, you look exactly the way a seasoned gentlemen from the state of Alaska who has spent some time in the outdoors should look.

There is no substitute for authenticity.

"I am not against golf, since I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout."
- Paul O'Neil

#38 wr1nkles

wr1nkles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:13 AM

This video shows exactly what people think they see when they watch us. It's scary accurate.

But in all seriousness and like other have said, I find typically it's because they don't see it often or they want to see you catch something. To the untrained eye, fly casting could be seen as unnecessary hard work or a thing of beauty.

I usually don't mind, but I will never forget the guy who parked his truck 15' directly behind me to watch.

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

#39 RLS

RLS

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:05 AM

I think that casting a fly could be compared to a good ballet, a piece of art.
I'm new, so be gentle.

#40 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,917 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

No offense intended ... but comparing fly casting to ballet is like comparing a two years old's first steps to a marathon runner's first win.

Casting can look pretty ... but it takes all of a week to get "good" at it.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#41 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:22 PM

Give a spey rod a try and then tell me that again lol. I'm well into my 3rd season with my spey rod and I am still learning new things as well as have days where I seem to not be as good as I was the previous day with it blink.png 

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#42 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:26 PM

No offense intended ... but comparing fly casting to ballet is like comparing a two years old's first steps to a marathon runner's first win.

It took me a whole year to get good at fly casting! LOL

1. The captain is always right

2. It's the deckhand's fault

#43 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,917 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:00 PM

I didn't say a week would make you an expert.  Hell, 45 years or so and I'm still learning things I do wrong.  But you can put a fly rod in someone's hands, and within one day, they'll be impressing the "uninitiated".

Barbed hooks rule!

#44 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

What I said was meant to be a joke, Mike.

1. The captain is always right

2. It's the deckhand's fault

#45 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,917 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

Taken as a joke, too. wink.png

Barbed hooks rule!