Fly Tying
Mike West

Reddington Surge and Okuma SLV in the salt?

Anyone have any experience with these reels using them in saltwater? Do they hold up if you rinse them off every time?

I need a decent 10wt reel but I don't need a lot of backing(50 yrds),,it's for Reds,Sea Trout and inland Strippers.

I don't want to break the bank and like to keep it under $100 if possible $150 max.

I have a surge in 3/4 weight and like it but only had it 6 months or so and I've handled the SLV and liked it.

I owned a Tibor but it was stolen and I just can't afford $1000 for a real and spare spool again.

can't answer about those reels, but any reel, I always open and rinse out the inside. Geared reels I reapply grease. Don't just rinse the outside. Just about anything will hold up a long time if it is properly cleaned. At least IMHO.

Being the cheap bass-turd that I am, the large arbor version of the "White River Fly Shop Hobbs Creek Fly Reel" for $50 is my go to reel. I love mine, and I have several. A lot of my rods have automatic reels, but the ones that have standard reels, Hobbs Creek reels on every one.

They might not last a lifetime, but at the price, I can buy a new one every year if I needed to, and still be under a high priced reel after 5 to 10 years. But, in fresh water, I had to replace one, yet, and some of them are already several years old.

My opinion: Reels and sunglasses ... buy cheap, buy often, have new stuff frequently and no worries of loss or damage.

I have a Battenkill 8/9 Disk. I thought it wold be too small for a 10wt but Orvis just wrote me back saying it would hold 125 yards of 20# backing with a WF 10

I'm in business,just saved me some money I can spend on fly lines now.

My opinion: Reels and sunglasses ... buy cheap, buy often, have new stuff frequently and no worries of loss or damage.

smile.png

inland Strippers.

Lay off of those, and you might find some extra dough for a better set up.

smile.png

I have the SLV and it's been fine. Pretty much all I do is saltwater. My SLV was pretty beat up, though, so I picked up a couple of Sage 1880s. This is discontinued now and replaced with the 2280. Still $150. Both models have a sealed drag which is nice for salt.

Lay off of those, and you might find some extra dough for a better set up.

Been fly fishing for close to 50 years and I can count on one hand how many times I've had fish get into my backing and have some fingers left.

9# brown trout in white water and 4lb tippet. (guessing) 25lb+ stripper below tail race damn and something I never saw fishing around an oil rig in the gulf coast.

In my opinion there is absolutely no reason for reels with 200-300 yards of backing unless you are fishing off shore for huge fish like Tarpon,Shark,Tuna,Dorado,King Mackerel ect and a $500+ drag system

I caught a 30lb(guessing again) yellow tail on 8wt rod and a Cortland ($10-$15?) clicker reel...never took half the line off...16lb tippet. I was fishing for Kelp bass.

Most of the inland Strippers I catch are 2-15lbs I don't get into the 20#-30# monsters.

Love the Hybrids..we call them "Wipers" cause they will wipe your tackle out....Strongest fresh water fish I've ever messed with.

Caught a 14lb below Ray Hubbard damn..stood the rod up at a 45 degree angle with a16# tippet and cranked the drag down...the fish was going to win,the rod was going to break....strong fish!

Fish Creek 9/10 reel on ebay $85. Fully machined. I have the 5/6 and after having forgot to back the drag off after fishing for a couple weeks it had zero inertia start up when I got ready to use it again. When they list a 7/8 I'll jump on it.

Selling my Lamson Speedster 4 but it a whole lot more jingles.