Fly Tying
dryfly purist

the norwegian mountainside as seen from a roof top.......

This is from a trip i made this weekend. I went up to the mountain to visit some friends of mine, and i had to shoot a few photos of the amazing scenery :-)

This is from a typical roof top where all the cabins within miles has grass on the roof, wich is very common in Norway as the cabins are very traditional looking with wood on inside and outside to

fit in to the landscape as good as possible.

21785436170_210aace618_k.jpg

Terje

Man! Dig those crazy grass roofs! The one in the middle needs mowing (or do they graze their sheep on the roof like the Swiss do?). What's that little brown structure in the right foreground? Doghouse?

Doggie has a really beautiful view!

I think I may have figured it out... are we on another roof, and is that brown thing a chimney?

I think I may have figured it out... are we on another roof, and is that brown thing a chimney?

YEPP, you figured it out FlaFly :-) :-) It´s a chimney alright :-)

I kind of love the grass roofs myself, and i think it slides nicely into the nature and adds a nice touch :-)

Terje

Okay ... I got the chimney ... closest object. But what is the structure in the middle?

Bell housing? Captain's roost? Bird house for a Falcon?

Beautiful view. I love the grass roofs, too. Best looking "human" structures, those houses.

Okay ... I got the chimney ... closest object. But what is the structure in the middle?

attachicon.gif21785436170_210aace618_k.jpg

Bell housing? Captain's roost? Bird house for a Falcon?

Beautiful view. I love the grass roofs, too. Best looking "human" structures, those houses.

It´s just meant as an ornament, Mike :-)

Very norwegian and something you find on lots of cabins up in the mountains here i Norway.

Thanks a lot, Mike :-) :-)

Terje

Beautiful Terje! Grass roofs are not so popular in Finland, but i did see a couple on cabins in Norway this summer!

Thanks a lot, Adam :-)

It´s a really norwegian phenomenon i guess :-) :-) :-)

Terje

Hey Terje, thank you on another great shot. You know, we don't have places like that in Iowa. Truly a beautiful place. Cheers, Ed

The Swiss grow grass on their chalets, or at least they used to. There's lots of them in Norway. Also lots of those ornate wooden structures. It is a way of making a building unique, and attractive to look at... not just a box made of ticky-tacky.

Hey Terje, thank you on another great shot. You know, we don't have places like that in Iowa. Truly a beautiful place. Cheers, Ed

Thanks a lot for your kind comment, Ed :-) :-)

Terje

The Swiss grow grass on their chalets, or at least they used to. There's lots of them in Norway. Also lots of those ornate wooden structures. It is a way of making a building unique, and attractive to look at... not just a box made of ticky-tacky.

You´re absolutely right, FlaFly :-)

Terje

Regarding the little structure at the edge of the roof. It seems like I read once-upon-a-time-in-my-youth, that it was traditional to have a house for a stork on the roof. It was a good luck charm of sorts. It brought blessings upon the household.

Kirk B.