Fly Tying
flytyingperson

wooly bugger or muddler minnow

Which do you like to use better during early trout season?  

408 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Definitely a geographic question. I would dive in with a 52 Buick myself, unless Cutties were on the menu then the Muddler would probably dawn the end of my line.

I've been fly fishing for trout for about 30 years. I don't think I've ever caught a trout on a muddler. I think they've got some sort of fish repellant built into them. biggrin.gif

Out of those two flies I would fish a muddler, specifically a marabou muddler which is a good comprimise between buggers and muddlers, good action from a marabou wing but flash and nice head style/size from the muddler. Very effective early season fly.

Wooly bugger maybe catches more fish but it is more fun to fish the muddler minnow, especially when it floats and the trout comes up to the suface to get it. Last sea trout I caught was on 26.march and I caught the fish on muddler minnow biggrin.gif

Olive (or other color) buggers are more productive for me. But mudders seem to attract the bigger browns... especially at night.