Fly Tying
Trampus

How old is old enough?

I'm sure this has come up before but I couldn't find the threads so I'll ask again. I have three grandsons 4, 5, and 6 years old whom I will want to introduce to fly fishing one day and I want to build each child his own custom fly rod. Even if it doesn't take, they will have a memento of their grandfather that God willing, they can pass down to their children.

My question is about what age is a good age to start them off and what size and action rod would be the best for a newbie youngster?

Im starting my youngest off now, shes six. A 3wt or 4wt 7'6 mod fast rod should be great. Let them just swing the line back and forth like a cane pole catching bluegill for a while.

Also, very important. Make them name every fly they help tie. It makes it personal for them, then their hooked!

Dont try to tech them to cast untill they start to want to get out further.

Here is my take on it.

Start with tying simple flies with them and together (you really, at least for the casting part) catching some bluegills or small bass.

They will be ready when they ask you if they can cast too.

As far as rods, wait until the bug bites them. Then it will mean something special to them forever. Too early and those rods will just be another toy in the bin.

I am at the tying stage with my 8 year old. My 13 year old never went past it. So my record is dubious at best, but it makes sense to me.

Oh and when they do start casting eye protection for you both lol and ear muff for you wouldn't hurt lmao!

LOL..I hear ya Joe...fly fishing is a contact sport :)

Here is my take on it.

Start with tying simple flies with them and together (you really, at least for the casting part) catching some bluegills or small bass.

As far as rods, wait until the bug bites them. Then it will mean something special to them forever. Too early and those rods will just be another toy in the bin.

I am at the tying stage with my 8 year old. My 13 year old never went past it. So my record is dubious at best, but it makes sense to me.

I agree that giving them the rod too early may backfire but I want to at least build their rods in case something happens to me and it's too late. If I build a rod they won't grow out of and can use as an adult then time is not really an issue.

Why frustrate children. The red and white bobber is a rite of passage. Get them hooked on fishing by keeping it simple, which is the way children like it, then introduce them to fly fishing when they are older. Remember it's about their enjoyment. I do love the idea of you making them rods. That would be something to cherish for a lifetime especially if fishing sticks with them.

Why frustrate children. The red and white bobber is a rite of passage. Get them hooked on fishing by keeping it simple, which is the way children like it, then introduce them to fly fishing when they are older. Remember it's about their enjoyment. I do love the idea of you making them rods. That would be something to cherish for a lifetime especially if fishing sticks with them.

I guess I should have clarified things a bit...I will start them on bobbers and worms and lots of bluegill to get them hooked on the sport then when they want to "fish like grandpa" try to ease them into fly fishing.

I'm gonna' say 10 + or -. I think a lot has to do with the individual child, some are a little more, I'll use the word mature for lack of a better description. I think you will know when they have the hand/eye coordination and mental attitude for fly fishing vs. worm and bobber.

I started fishing when I was a tiny little shit.Around 4 if the picture is correct!I've been in love with fishing ever since!

My middle daughter (8) has no real interest in the worm fishing. She likes the fly rod and the whole casting thing. My older (10) and youngest (5) love the worms and simply catching something. So just see where things lead and enjoy them being out there in the wild and not inside by a screen.

Here is my take on it.

I think the problem you had with the first one was kids require rewards for their work. My little girl (6) will tie a fly, name it then go catch a fish on it (even if we tie that fly under a bobber) then she cant wait to tie another one. The important thing is to let them do what they want for now.

I think no matter fishing method you get them into barbless hooks would be a good idea too.

Funny zip! I don't know if I should answer this, me being the youngest one here. When I started(13), it wasn't the best thing for me. I was pretty frustrated but I kept at it, and soon I wasn't that bad. What I'm saying is, make it fun. Do casting games, like whoever castes the farthest wins a candy, stuff like that. Also, make the action constant, I think bluegill would be a great place to start.