Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishinguy

2wt reel under $100

I'm considering getting an affordable 2wt for trout/panfish. Having trouble locating a reasonable priced reel that small. I may end up with a 3wt line on it, but would rather not buy a 3/4wt size reel. So, basically, looking for a cheap 2 or 2/3 wt reel. Any suggestions? Click/pawl or disc drag, doesn't matter. Is also prefer new over used. Country of origin is no object. Here's a link to the rod I'm considering, in case you're wondering. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H70O632/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473714593&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=maxcatch%2Bfly%2Brod&dpPl=1&dpID=51-rHmMwa1L&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

First, how a reel is labelled doesn't always mean it's accurate for a given weight rod. I have a 3/4wt Okuma Sierra that IMO is a little on the small size. I use it on both a 3 & 4 wt rod, but it might also work well on a 2 wt. The other small reel I have is a now discontinued Cortland Rimfly in the small size. It should also be a good size for a 2 wt. Both reels have been great to use & are well under that $100 price tag. The Rimfly reels show up on Ebay occasionally, but I think the Leeda branded reel may still be available new. From what I've read Leeda made these reels in England for Cortland, so the same reel, just different logo.

There are a bunch of cheap Chinese reels on eBay for around 20 bucks, I don't think you're really planning on using for fighting big hard running fish so they should work just fine for you.

As with most "help me make a product decision" threads, a price range is very useful.

"under $100" was in the title.

:)

I have that same rod. Very happy with it for the price.

I use a much heavier wt reel with mine, because tge reel is so small, and because finding a 2 wt reel was a pain. Redington Zero is the best on in that price range

I will heartily recommend the Redington Zero click-pawl reel. $90, incredibly lightweight, very nice little reel. I have one on my 5 wt. and love it.

that's a real beauty, though right at the top of my budget.

I forgot all about anglers roost! Thanks for that. Anyone have any experience with their cheaper #200m (or 201m,202m etc.)? I like that price a bit more. Do their reels ever go on sale?

I have that same rod. Very happy with it for the price.

I use a much heavier wt reel with mine, because tge reel is so small, and because finding a 2 wt reel was a pain. Redington Zero is the best on in that price range

same rod!? Which model? Care to give a quick review? What line do you like with it?

In the sub-100 price range, I'd probably go with an Orvis Battenkill.

Good looks, good name, pretty good quality for a Chinese reel, and if anything goes wrong with it, Orvis backs it up with a pretty good warranty too.

Certainly a good reputation on that one. Call me vain if you'd like, but, I think I'd take the redington on looks alone at that price.