Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SpokaneDude

How to attach backing and fly line to new reel

So I am the proud owner of a new Lamson 2 Series IV reel; usually I get a new reel from a fly shop, but this time I bought it online because of the fantastic deal I found on this forum. Now, I have purchased some SA backing and SA Sharkwave GPX Taper line.

Depending on what you read, you can use different knots and wrap the backing and line with different tightness, which leaves me in a quandary. So my questions are:

• when winding the backing on the reel, do you use a lot of pressure to make sure it lays flat? or?
  • when winding the fly line itself, how much pressure do you apply to the line so you don't have problems when it unwinds in the water?
  • what knot do you use to attach the line to the backing? (I have read that a loop to loop is the best for ease in cleaning the line, etc.)
  • any suggestions on how to wind when doing it by myself?

Thanks in advance, I always appreciate the advice I get from this board.

SD

I just got my new Lamson as well. Here's what I do. Wind the fly line on first then top with backing to determine amount of backing needed then strip the reel again and tie backing to reel. I use just a slip knot here. I then use slight pressure with my fingers and wind the backing on evenly. I've had this done at a shop before and they put so much pressure on the backing that I broke off the first fish because the backing was dug into itself.

I use a nail knot to attach backing to fly line I dont like loop to loops here because it goes through my guides alot in a good day of fishing. The nail knot seems to go through smoother. I dont wind on the fly line really tight just finger pressure because I want to make sure it fits well when I need to wind in fast and sloppy.

I use just enough tension to keep the baking smooth on the reel.

I am a big proponent of loop to loop systems. I use a big non slip mono loop knot, with a drop of super glue on it. The bimini twist is also very popular down here.

As far as loading the reel, I picked up a ReelEGood line winder. It simplifies everything. You can utilize a drill to speed up the process.

post-52832-0-93295700-1474581869_thumb.jpg

When I did it without aid, I put a pencil in the backing spool and held it between my knees. With the reel on the bottom section of the rod, I ran the backing through the stripping guide and onto the reel. With the fly line itself, I ran it the same way but without the pencil. The spool just flopped around on the floor.

I use an arbor knot to tie the backing to the spool. An improved Albright knot to tie the backing to the fly line (unless there is a welded loop on the rear).

I have used a nailess nail knot for along time now. And with most of these knots if you want it smoother to go through the guides you can always slip a piece of shrink tube over the line before tying and obviously slip it in place and heat it up after tying. I don't know about loop to loop onto a fly line, my backing is usually pretty thin and I envision that cutting through the fly line. Be best to put on a tag first , unless the line came with one built in. I don't think loops would pass all that great through the smaller guides of the lighter weight rods either.

i just put the reel on the reel seat section and wind on the backing and line with some light finger pressure

i wouldnt wind on backing and line as tight as you can

arbor knot for the backing to the reel

albright knot for backing to fly line. however if the line has a loop on both ends you might as well ti a loop in the backing

I use 20 and 30 lbs. Micron backing in all my reels and always have used albright knots from backing to line.

Just recently I bought a line with loops on both ends and did a loop to loop on it.

Truth be told, only two of my backing to line connections have ever been tested. Those were on salrwater reels.

As far as I am concerned, you could use scotch tape in your backing to reel connection and be ok.

I use a nail knot with a drop of old fashioned sealing wax that i smooth out while hot. It stays for years and makes it smooth as can be as it goes through guides.

The first question I have is; do you plan on using more than one line on this reel? I like the nail knot for backing to fly line, but if I am going to use different lines, i.e. floating, sinking or sink tip, then loop to loop is easier than tying a new knot every time.

I use an arbor knot ( aka canadian jam knot ) for backing to the reel, and albright backing to the line. I do also have a unit similar to islander 727, and generally clean and remove my fly line from the reel in winter, and store it loosly coiled in big zip lock bags. I do this because I have more than 1 reel, and many extra spools - some lines I might not use for a couple seasons. I find it helps keep the coil/ reel memory off the line, and the lines seem to last longer.

I am becoming a big fan of those new Rio lines, and think I will go to Rio when my lines need replacement - front and back welded loops - life cant get easier.

Thanks everybody... I wound up using the arbor knot and Albright knot and in the end my wife held the spools. Everything in the beginning was going smoothly until I started to put the line on; I took the top of the spool off, put the other half on the floor and started to reel in the line. In less than 20 seconds I had a mess on my hands with the pile of spaghetti the line became. Took over an hour to get it all straightened out somewhat, and it was a lesson learned! And that's when I enlisted my wife to help... won't do that again...

SD

This is just a note to all the guys out there who are using the new braided superlines for backing. If you get into salt water fish capable of taking you into and you have just tied your backing AROUND you arbor you're liable to find yourself reeling and the backing spinning on the arbor. This was a problem with superlines when we first started using them on baitcasting reels and spinning reels. The advice then is still sound. Take several back and forths with mono pulled tight before splicing in the braid. Another way I've used it is to get a tight knot on arbor and then lay a string of Super Glue around the line and the arbor.

It's funny I've never seen this in fly talk before but you'll find it a lot in baitcasting/bass fishing forums. Maybe because superlines aren't used much for backing or that most of never see the backing after we put it on.

You can also tie on the braid, wind on one turn. Use a piece of cloth tape about the size of a thumb print and cover the knot. Continue winding the line on normally.

The only way this will slip, is if you pull the line out all the way to the tape.