Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Can't cast the distance with a #16 dry fly

I have a Scott A4 5wt rod with a SA 5wt line, 55" Cutthroat leader and 4x tippet. When I try to cast a very light fly (#16 dry) it doesn't go very far, maybe 15-20 feet. Is my rod setup too large for small flies? Should I be using a 4wt rod with a 3wt line?

I must admit I'm not the best caster (returning after a 12 year hiatus from fly fishing), but my fishing buddy was having the same problem. BTW, there was no wind to speak of...

Thanks... SD

The line should load the rod, the fly has little to do with it except in the case of huge wind dragging type flies and that is not the case with a size 16 for sure. I'd almost bank money on your second comment, that you have been away from it for 12 years ( so casting technique perhaps). The only other part I can think of is a miss match in line type. You say SA 5 wt line but what version ? The Scott rod should perform well.

Sounds like a casting problem or leader.You should use a tapered leader to get the fly to turn over right.The smaller flies need longer leaders.Larger flies can use the weight to straighten the leader but smaller one won't

Sounds more like a casting problem though.Make sure you are stopping hard at the end of the cast.You need a hard stop and timed just right.Aim the fly a little high on the forward cast.If you are used to casting streamers or larger flies it will take a little getting used to.

Are you coming back to casting the same rod you had, or a new rod?

I am wondering if perhaps a very different action is throwing you off as well.

I thought of that as well Bimini and besides that some rods take extra care in getting the timing down right and faster is not always better either. Faster rods take less push, with some you can back way off on your input. And softer rods you gotta load up. Then there are those rods that are just suited to the owner perfectly, my Stepson has a Fisher Presidential that I have no idea how he gets the line out down to the backing because to me, I'm lucky to get 30 ft out of it. I'd need to spend some time with that particular rod to learn it's ways. I tried it on one of our trips up North and it was like casting a wet noodle or something, you can't get any feel from it but he just loves that thing..

I am not familiar with your set-up, but here's my experience ...

It's the leader/tippet that gets small flies out to full extension. If you're getting the fly line out to full reach, and the leader/tippet set-up is not turning the fly over ... there's your problem.

The smaller the fly, the more important the leader/tippet becomes.

With a fly that has any weight, it will "cast" from the fly line end. I use a straight piece of mono to attach the fly to the fly line and it works fine, because my sunfish/bass flies are heavy enough to carry themselves the last 10 feet or so.

If I try fishing with a super small fly (just to see if something will hit it), I can't use the same set-up. The lighter fly will not carry over against the resistance of the leader material.

What about changing the line weight from 5wt to 4wt... less resistance, and I only use it to fish for trout, most of which are pan-sized...

It's not the fly, it's not the leader, it's not the gear. Practice your casting. I'm not a casting instructor nor a very accomplished caster. However, My guess is your lowering your rod tip to low during the forward and back cast. 15 to 20 feet isn't even a cast so your problem is something major in your cast. Minutia like tippet size and leader length ain't causing a 15' cast. Keep the rod tip between 10 and 2 no lower. Only after the line straightens out on the forward cast do you then lower it to land it softly in the water.

What about changing the line weight from 5wt to 4wt... less resistance, and I only use it to fish for trout, most of which are pan-sized...

your line weight isnt the problem here, thats more fine tuning. Point is if your not getting the head out of the rod your not going to be able to cast anywhere.

If your problem is getting the tapered head out, underlining will make it even more difficult (less load on the rod).

If you want an easier short cast, if anything, you need to overline.

Personally I think you need practice your casting with the tackle that you have and get a feel for it.

If you could post a video, it may show major tecnique flaws. (I will not catch them unless they are very major) :)

Allowing the rod to load is crucial in getting distance.Stop at 2 on the backcast and wait to feel the rod tip load or watch the line straighten out then snap to 10 with a hard stop.Stepping down a line size is great if you are casting in the wind or usually for shorter distance casts but you would need even more line out to start the cast just so the rod would load properly.

The "weight" in the fly line is distributed in the first 35 to 40 feet. Without that much line past the rod tip, it doesn't fully load the rod. Using a lighter line will actually load the rod less not more. If you only need to cast 15 or 20 feet (not more,) then OVER line the rod with a 6 weight or 7 weight line. That will put the same grain weight past the rod tip will a shorter amount of line.

As has been said by several others, its your casting proficiency NOT the rod or line. Try and get some competent instruction. Then practice.