Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fry Flier

You said even the uglies

Started out with a number 8 wet nymph hook then proceeded to tie the same patterns on a pair of 12 dry nymph hooks. They may be ugly but they are mine. I know that the first 2 are tied back a bit too far when I finished but the last one was a bit clooser.

The first is maroon 6/0 thread on a # 8 hook and pheasant feather.

The 2nd is black 6/0 thread on a # 12 dry nymph hook and pheasant feather.

The 3rd is black 6/0 thread on a # 12 dry nymph hook and pheasant feather tied a bit clooser to the head of the hook.

All finished with a Thompson Whip Finisher and head cement.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Sorry made an error there are 2 of these images in the fish catagory of the uploads, iif it can be corrected by the powers that be it would be appreciated.

Hey Gary!

Great first ties! And working on small hooks with the Thompson Torture Device whip-thingy....

I know that you're looking at examples like Bud's salmon flies and thinking you'll never get there. Well, you're right.... But at least we'll get better! wink.gif

Working with pheasant tail?

Cheers!

(the other) Gary

Yep Tail feather about 2/3's of the way up so as to get some longer strands.

With cucumbers for fingers and tripple focal glasses I feel lucky to find and handle the hook. Give Bud a few days before he needs to worry about losing any tying competition to me.

The not other Gary.

Good start FF. Hang on to those pics for reference because you will be able to see how your progress is going by comparing your first to later flies. Always cool when guys post their very first ties headbang.gif

Thats really the biggest thing IMO when you start tying....compare your flies after this one to ONLY this one...dont try to compare them to other tiers right off the bat. keep up the good work.

SD

Hi,

Good job! You are doing well. Like everything, it just takes a bit of practice. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Fish like uglies. I have no doubt what so ever you can go out and catch fish with those. Keep practising, and before long you'll be catching fishermen too.

There is another use for your first flys that are to ugly to use. Way back when, shortly after I started tying, I had a small candy box that I put all my flies in. I thought someday I cut the material off and use the hooks again. Just before Christmas, my wife took that box of ugly flies and glued a bunch of them to a ribbon, and made me a little Christmas tree. She used an old creel for the base, and to hold the tree, and used that ribbon with the ugly flies on it as a decoration, along with some fishing decorations she bought. Prettiest damn Christmas tree I ever saw.

If I could go just one year into the future and bring back pics of some of the flys you'll be tying then, you would be blown away. Keep up the good work. :headbang:

You should have seen my first flies. The head was two or three times bigger around than the body, I tied over the eye, had the but of the hackle sticking out, and the list goes on. OLB is right, I haven't been tying for a year, but every so often I look at my first flies and am amazed. The longer you tie, the more natural it feels.Keep tying and trying.

My first flies didnt need dubbing,i used like 20 yards of thread afraid some stuff might fall of

:D .

My dryflys did sink all the time,tomuch material.

My nimphs didnt catch fish cuz the hook whas lost in material.

My whipfinish whas always on the eye of the hook,tomuch varnish on the whipfinish,then try to get ur tippet in the eye :crying: .

But u do better then my first flies.

Best u can do is try and try again and ask if some one can join u for an day(a full day is to long) so u can see what the others do.

Better 2 wraps that r tight then 10 that r to lose.

For dubbing,take some and from that half of it,from that half again,thats all u need.

If u gonna tie some flies,try to make like 5 the same flies,u see the last 1 looks the best.

And ugly flies catch also fish.

Keep trying

Klaas