Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

Wooly Mullet

I know what you're thinking, but no, I haven't switched to a new hairdo. Our resident Coastie posted a few excellent wool head mullet recently, and since Ive got enough wool in my stash to open a sweater factory, it inspired me to tie up a few of my own. This one isn't the most colorful fly I've ever tied, but I suppose I'll find something to throw it at. The striper season here's been a complete failure, so it'll probably be reds. Its all wool except for a marabou plume and silver flash. About six inches long on a 2/0 hook.

post-281-0-96352700-1394728240_thumb.jpg

Nice fly...

im hoping this has not given you any ideas for hairdo's or if it has please keep the party in the back to a minimum for the sake of humanity and your wife.

WOW…Where the head meets the body is pure art. I really like the color gradients, not bad for a guy who ties flies in the nude.

Nice 'do' there Peterjay.......Oh, sorry........I see it is not new. I bet all the ewes just love it.

actually...I like it too.....baaaaa

Thanks guys...........I think. Dave, it's 35 and blowing a gale here, so there'll be no tying in the buff until it warms up a bit. Luckily, my leotards just came back from the dry cleaner, so I'll be OK for now. Hey Ditz - congratulations on that NABLA (North American Barnyard Love Association) Man of the Year award. Great to know you finally got what's coming to you. I see your harem is already basking in the reflected glory of your achievement.

post-281-0-88814000-1394737028_thumb.jpg

I am more a fan of natural colors, so I think your mullet is great. I agree with Red (Shocking, I know) that the neck area is truly art work. Nice clear water, and the fish will pull the rod from you hands with this one.

And Ditz ... before you get any ideas ... that's just ONE pull of the rod.

Very shapely and fine sculpted mullet fly! How does wool compare to some of the other materials regarding action in the water? And, is there any particular kind of wool better than the others? Or is wool just wool? I think the Mid-Atlantic might have more snow on the way this weekend so you might want to reconsider that sweater factory in your future business plan.

I appreciate the credit for your inspiration, however why did you have to make mine look bad! That is a beautiful one there. You packed the wool onto the head so tight. And that color is perfecto

Thanks guys. It’s nice to know that you like the colors. I almost didn’t post that fly because I didn’t think anybody’d be interested in dull blue/green/grays. I should have known that you dudes are more astute than the usual crowd of undesirables I hang out with in back alleys and abandoned buildings.

Skimmer, wool is like marabou or ostrich action-wise. It "breathes" and looks enormous in the water compared to most synthetics. The tradeoff is that it's heavy when wet (like rabbit fur) and it will occasionally tangle - I carry a pocket comb for that purpose. Icelandic wool (the tail and wing on the mullet fly) is long and relatively straight. It’s more like a fine hair than wool. The shorter stuff is usually sold as ram's wool or sculpin wool, and is good for spinning, stacking, or winging smaller flies. You can use it in place of spun deer hair any time you want a fly that'll sink faster. I like to dye some of the long stuff and the shorter stuff together, so the colors will match.

BTW - it's warmed up some since yesterday's arctic blast. We're looking at a little rain this weekend, that's all.

PJ, thanks for the explanation. I am still playing catch up to you guys on some of these techniques. I got by for many years on clousers and decievers! I am working on a spot imitation trying both a hollow tie version in bucktail and a more wooly version. Everything seems to eat spot so i thought i would try and come up with something. Not sure when or if I will put it up for display??

Some of the tarpon fishermen down here liveline spot, so I've been thinking along similar lines. I've got a feeling spot or croaker imitations might work on bull reds as well. Won't be long now. The full moon in April is around the 15th if I'm not mistaken. The local guys tell me that's when I should start looking.

Boy, I hope the natives are right about the bulls. I am guessing my first fish this year is going to be a hickory shad. Maybe, I can photoshop it into something that can win the rookie tarpon competition. BTW, that pic I added to my profile is when i was being towed out to sea with that tarpon I hooked a couple years ago. No question who was in control of that situation..but it was fun while it lasted.