Fly Tying

Flies Tied Per Week

How many flies on average do you tie a week  

272 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It really depends on wether I have a fishing trip planned. The week before my annual trip to Montana, I'll probably tie 100 flies. If I'm working on an Atlantic Salmon fly, it may only be one. It's rare that I don't have a fly in progress in my vice.

I'm really gonna focus this winter on sharpening my skills at the vise, I'm to busy fishing right now to do to much tying. The steelheaders like OSD are just the opposite their season is just beginning when I call it quits for the year. I'm sure he is tying away getting ready for winter chrome!

Do most of you tie in the "offseason"?

WHAT!?!?!?! OSD is a steelheader and there is an end to the season???? Must be from the east coast. biggrin.gif My steelheading season ends for the month of May only, only because the rivers I fish close to let wild steelhead spawn. But that's one month only. But, in mean time, all my steelhead slow times are filled with salmon. So, there is no down time. biggrin.gif Well, except now when I'm injured, but that's a different scenerio all together.

But I average easily over 100 flies a week. I average about 2 dozen a day. Luckily, I don't tie for shops. I'd go nuts. Those guys tie dozens of dozens a day (have a friend that cranks out over 10-15 dozen flies EVERY day). Mine are either for me, flyswaps (which never end), friends, or clients (I don't consider friends my clients, since I barely charge them cost of materials). So I'm always on the vise. Being off, I've been tempted to tie for more people, but don't want my tying schedule to change. When I'm back to work, don't want a backup of flies. I ONLY tie my OWN flies. I don't go overseas to buy ive_been_ripped.gif , and will never sell inadequate flies to customers.

I tie more from Fall through Spring; several swaps per year, monthly pattern instruction at UFT meetings from September through May; occasional donated time at shows (club booths) and when I have free time away at camp, weekends. I have to 'plan'; 'block out'; time to do a full dress or any kind of rangeley style streamer work.

Case in point: Our first '03-'04 UFT meeting is Sept. 4; this year I hope to do theme oriented tyings, whether it be feather wing stylings, fresh water dries or wets, salmon stylings, poppers, etc. I'm starting off with a tiny 22 dry Mosquito - not a big deal, I know, as most people would be expected to be able to tie something this simple, but the smaller sizes challenge some people, so I want to demonstrate a couple methods for working with tiny hooks.

I have to force myself to tie for ME, if you can believe it.

Actually I have two main seasons for steelhead (Fall/winter) ending in Jan. and (winter/ spring) ending in May.

The rest of the in I fill in with Deer hunting, trout fishing and Ice fishing.

Tying fills the gaps between outings.

OSD.

i try to tie everyday...not just to fish, but to relax and clear my ever turbulent mind...idle hands are the devil's workshop and I have scars to prove it. Tying allows me to be creative, to feel useful, and to achieve things on a more spiritual level than just making a fly.

Well with a sales web site and ebay I tie and I go to work I come home I yell at my kids I kiss my dog and I kick my wife (JK tongue.gif ) and I go tie I go to bed repeat.............. Somedays it gets old some days I cant wait to get to it. Mostly I can not wait to get to it. I love to come up with new patterns/ideas. I do 50 to 100 a week easy. Now that it is salmon season I am going thruogh glowbugs like crazy. But it earns me some good fishing/vacation money. (dont tell my wife but im tryin to fanagle a new boat motor too!!! biggrin.gif ) Oh and steelhead season never ends Spring spawn, Skamaina/summer, fall runs, and Shhhhh winter runs too. But that is a secret!!!

I tye virtually every day. I would like to think that in doing this I work for myself, that way I can work half days only. But I have to choose which 12 hours to do it in. Deerhair has become my growing and only passion at the bench in tying flies. But we also like to keep baitfisherman happy in making lures too.

Nicholas

I voted 50 to 100 a week, sometimes up to 700 a week all depends on my will to tie laugh.gif

I think i've topped out around the $10,000 mark on materials so it makes it hard on what to tie with all the choice materials. Dude i don't even see a end in site on material spending with salmon materials yet to buy crying.gif

Brent

2003? Wow somebody dug really deep to dig this one out of the archives. The site was barely 1 month old when that topic was started blink.gif

When I posted it was at the top of the list and had a check mark next to it!? I only had to dig as far as the first post. Strange!! 700 flies a week 10 g in parts!?!?! holy crap WC that is nuts!

I'm sure $10,000 is around the norm for the interested. If not i'm in a world of shit with the wife unsure.gif We need a poll on what we have spent on materials.

Depends on if I get inspiration or not. Normally it is at least 7 or 8 flys a week when I am just tying for no reason, if I have a trip coming up and I need a specific fly for that trip it could be 3-4 dozen a day.