Fly Tying
fife404

Clyde Style spiders

Hi I'm new to fly tying. Can I tie spiders in a dry and a wet pattern and if so what hooks should I be using for each and is it hen for wet and dry for cock hackle and is a single or a double hackle.

Many thanks

I'm relatively new myself but I've tied several spiders. I'd assume that if you use a foam body, it's going to float (i.e., dry). If you use dubbing for a body, or wrap with wire, or use a bead head, it would sink, altho I've never seen a "wet" spider. My advice is go ahead and try it, then fish with it and see if the fishies like it. And what hook you use would be determined by what kind of fish you're catching. They're really good on bluegills!

Good luck

Grey-Hen-&-Yellow1.jpgClyde style spiders are by definition a wet fly. They are lightly dubbed and very sparsely hackled like this one. They are not spiders (arachnids).

Hi thanks for that guys . I thought they might be wets but I got confused over some seeming to have a double hackle at the head.