Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Fiberglass restoration

bGbSpV.jpg
Q2WuUT.jpg
IF02sY.jpg
iDycLl.jpg

Latest rod out of the shop today is a restoration of this old Heddon fiberglass rod probably circa 1960's or there abouts. Came in pretty rough looking but was able to spruce up the seat and reseal the grip. Stripped off all the factory varnish and tiny guides they used back then and rewrapped it in rust main thread with black trim and a more modern set of black larger snake guides.

Looks like the very first fly rod I had back in 65. Mine was in pretty shad shape then and rather than restore it, I found some old bamboo sections, and rebuilt those into a "new" rod. Very nice job on that one. I have done a few that old, but no longer do any but by own rods.

Steve made over that old rod for me.

One like it was my first serious fly rod back in my high school days in Detroit 50+ years ago.

It caught lots of fish for me, including my first brown trout from under a sweeper on the Au Sable. It also was a very handy streamer chucker for Shenandoah smallmouth. Then, i 'graduated' to graphite rods and it got no use for years so I donated it to a local wounded warriors project.

When this one came up for sale, I snapped it up. The wrappings were going bad and the original guides were way too small so it was destined for a wall hanger, nostalgia piece. But the cork, though soiled, was intact, the blank was unmarred, and reel seat was in good shape,

I've tried to redo fly rods myself with less than stellar results so I cajoled Steve into doing his magic -- with results you see above.

It gets back to me tomorrow and, matched with my old SA System 1 456 reel, it will see action early this season.

Rocco