Fly Tying

Hello James, I did a web search and enjoyed reading your article in Rackelhanen about your Scurr fly. What an amazingly realistic fly, truly exceptional. Im wondering if anywhere in the US sells Flexile that you know of?

Thank you for posting and sharing your patterns, all of which are excellent.

Graham

Hi Graham, glad you liked The Scurr and impressed you found me on www.rackelhanen.se I've also got work on www.graylinghunter.co.uk

If you're looking for Flexile, look no further! I'm in the process of setting up a website selling Finesse Flytying products, some unique and really tasty products, including narrow gauge Flexile and wingbuds from the True to Life range. The range consists of alder, baetis, greendrake, heptagenid, stonefly (moulted) , stonefly (mature) and beetle, although not all are yet available to the general public. Early trials for all species are going well.

If you have a look at the wingbuds available from Steve Thornton at Virtual Nymph, you'll see they have been produced from line drawings, where the Finesse brand originate from photographs of actual insects. The difference is incredible and boy, do the fish love them!

If you email me at [email protected] I can give you details of price and availability. Thanks for your interest- I was most impressed by your own tying!

James wink.gif

Hi James,

Very nice tie!

I'm looking forward to seeing your website and trying out these exciting new products.

Nick

This is amazing! I bought the stoneclinger head and wing plates from Virtual Nymph but can't believe the difference between what I tied and what you came up with. I was seriously depressed till I read your thread and checked out www.graylinghunter.co.uk to see how you did it. What a brilliant idea coming up with your own design and you must be really chuffed that yours blow Thornton's out of the water. Literally.

Thornton must be praying you don't get your marketing together. Can't wait for the website!

I also look forward to seeing these wing buds. Personally I prefer the line drawn ones myself. I experimented some time ago with actual photos and ran them through PhotoShop to get different effects and went back. I can and certainly anyone else can with practice, achieve the exact effect using markers as any photo. And the line drawn ones are adaptable to any colour as well. I find them easier to adapt to the rest of the fly's colouration.

As far as Steve's Wing Buds go? They were a combination of two great people. Steve Thornton and Bill Logan. And anyone that knows Bill will attest to the fact he is #1 in the realistic world. Two good enough gentlemen for my liking. Of course these are only my personal opinions.

user posted image

Dale

Thanks for the moraleboost, grayling lover. It's nice to know people like what I'm doing. As far as Steve's wingbuds go, they are perfect for Stoneclingers I use them myself. The reason I devoloped my own was because I couldnt wait any longer for Steve to produce his .Im very impatient, I was on the phone constantly. Incidentally, Steve is a great guy and Ive been dealing with him since 1998 He is always encouraging with help and advice and is a great flytyer period!!!!!My wingbuds are designed from actual insect pictures then converted onto line drawings which I can colour to match the hatch to cover various species found in the uk. Dale Beamish also has a range of very similar products which Ive ordered myself stonefly, mayfly etc. I ordered them two weeks ago along with his cds and tying instructions i cant wait to try them(you can never have enough wingbuds)but you could try and produce your own. Also Graham on the forum has got a fantastic range of buds, you should contact him - he's a gem of a guy and a superb flytyer. Aloso check out Paul Whillock site it will blow your mind!!!!!!! But I would have to agree with Dale. Bill Logan ties the most realistic flies in the world Genius. All my flies are fishing flies,like Steve Thornton's and Ollie Edwards'.

Thanks BFR ... It's tied on a Mustad 94840 size 14 dry fly hook. I do go smaller but you lose a lot of the gill effect in smaller sizes.

Dale

Dale, just received your wingbuds and the set of CDs - you must be really proud of yourself. The wingbuds are truly poptastic and I can't wait to try out the CDs.

Thanks again for a prompt and efficient service.

Tight threads

James