Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Favorite brand of hooks

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of the following is your favorite brand to tye on?

Which of the following is your favorite brand to tye on?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Bras D'or Creeper

Bras D'or Creeper

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

I voted Mustad, that's what I'm using for my salmon flies and some trout flies. I use Eagle River hooks when possible, they're great.
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.

#17 softhackle

softhackle

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:52 PM

I use Tiemco. I lived in Japan for 10 years, 1990-2000, and started using them during that time, which is also the time I picked up flytying.

#18 Red Nose Dace

Red Nose Dace

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:29 PM

I voted Mustad for the same reason I'm never afraid of a Fenwick rod, a Titleist golf ball, or the Talon brand zipper on my pants - day in and day out the quality and availability is there. cool.gif

#19 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:13 PM

None of the above for me. I really like the cabelas hooks, they are just as sharp and durable as the tiemcos i used to use and are cheaper.

I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#20 jcstikfish

jcstikfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:28 AM

When I'm tying nymphs, which I am going to lose dozens of, I go with Mustad or Tiemco. Can't beat them for the price. Although I find the Tiemcos to be a significantly sharper hook. The Mustad signature series has some nice hook designs. If I'm tying speys or hairwings, I like Daiichi Alec Jacksons.

~James
www.autumnbrookangling.com
Custom Flies and NJ Guide Service

#21 Sjo Crapels

Sjo Crapels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:57 AM

I use Gamakatsu's for small sizes.
Sjo
let the fly be with you...................

#22 Grizzly Chicken

Grizzly Chicken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:26 AM

I have learned! wallbash.gif NEVER buy cheap hooks! Mustad hooks always seem to get their points bent on my nymph patterns, so I'm constantly trying to sharpen
them back to shape. I'm switching to Tiemco, super hard and sharp, small
barbs easy to crimp down. Just my 2 cents. thumbsup.gif

#23 JoeBillingsley

JoeBillingsley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:27 AM

I mainly use Mustad, mostly because of the price, but I would prefer Tiemco. I've used Targus hooks a little and they are pretty good, too.

#24 flier

flier

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:53 PM

I use Mustad. Only once did I have one straighten out. Got a nice trout that ran down stream and I tried too hard to turn him and the hook straightened out. It was a size 16 black ant. I like the hooks because they come in 100 packs at a good price.

#25 troutgeek

troutgeek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:49 AM

I really like TMC. They just feel right to me.

I only use stainless for salt. Stainless does not break down in fresh water. If it breaks off in a fish, I would rather it rust away rather than be a permanent attachment.

#26 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

Out of the selections that you have i had to go with Mustad but i usually buy from Allen because i have yet to have an issue with any of their hooks, they support Military and they are usually about half the price.

#27 mojokayak

mojokayak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

I have more Mustad Than Any Other Brand In My Hook drawer