Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Black long thin flying insect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:27 PM

I found this long black flying thin bodied insect. The head and thorax is about 1 cm long. The wings are about 1.5 cm and have a brownish hue, with dark veins.
There are two long fine antenna, about 2cm long. There are three sets of legs, each with three segments each,similar two a bee or wasp.
Now for the amazing part, the body/tail is about 5 cm long it has 6 segments, all about a cm long with the last one being about 2mm. The body/tail is very thin.
I have seen them flying around this summer, there body/tail hangs below the fly looking like two mating insects. My freind says its a type of dragonfly. I cant see it, I think it is some type of wasp. I can not find it in any of the books I have. I am about to do a google search on wasps, and thought that I should ask here and share this wild looking insect.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#2 Taxon

Taxon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:02 PM

Daryn-

Sounds like you're describing a female Pelecinid Wasp (Pelecinis polyturator).

#3 Brewer

Brewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:54 AM

daryn, theyve been around here too, and alot of them, they dont seem too agressive untill you try and catch one, my neighbor and i were having a coupla beers in the backyard, and one flew by, of course he has to catch one...he also got stung or bit in the back while running away, the welt swelled out to 3-4 inches, and looked nasty, kind of a yellowish colour. he said it felt like someone hit him with a baseball bat

#4 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:05 PM

Exactly Taxon, thanks. I new it was some sort of wasp.

I have seen alot off them this year, flying arround very docile like. Im glad you let me know that they pack a mighty punch, Thanks ! The one I found was laying on the ground half dead. Ill have to keep that in mind and let peolple know not to mess with them.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain