Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Tying Gadgets or How to make life easier

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Fishin' Mom

Fishin' Mom

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:57 PM

I used a 2" deep by 8" long by six " wide firm, thick cardboard box, from a computer hard drive, as a tool caddy. I used an exacto knife where needed to cut shaped holes for specific items - flexament holder, cement and thinner holder, stacker, etc. the rest I just pushed or punched a hole with the implement (carefully) to get the right size. (I also use the knife, crafts not carpet cutting, for cutting threads) smile.gif
I hang a small plastic bag by the handle off the adjuster knob of my vice - the handle part is long enough, and the bag small and light enough it doesn't get in my way.
I use a loop of EXTREMELY fine copper wire as a bobbin threader - is stiff enough to be inserted without encouragement wink.gif
I use plastic jar lids to hold beads or water for soaking biots and quills
I have used plastic twist ties to hold materials out of the way on a fly during tying
I have three or four different thickness needles stuck in a piece of foam. Each one as a different colored ball of head cement/nail polish on it to designate usage - head of cement, head of flexament or spreader, pick. Also makes them easier to hold. I also stick the flies around the edges to dry - ones that are small enough. I have two bodkins, but I find the tips too thick for smaller flies

#32 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:34 PM

Hey diermit, Sorry, just getting back to this thread. You can get strips of brass in hobby shops and some hardware stores. You don't need or really want real thick metal.
Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/

#33 MisterChubbs

MisterChubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:21 PM

Ronn,

How did you get the different sizes/designs for the wing burners? I just purchased a few sheets of brass to create my own. Thanks.

#34 longears

longears

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:57 PM

good question...
I've seen Ronn's burners and how he makes them . The guy is awesome! I can't believe how many different burners that he has.
www.tyingsupplies.com

#35 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:32 PM

I didn't see this mentioned, but I use a piece of Velcro glued on a popsicle stick for a dubbing brush. Jerry (the Dotman) Brumfield sent me some of his Fly-Reel Dots to try to make my tying easier (arthritis in my hands sucks) and it makes a neat little dubbing brush.

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.

#36 sniksoh

sniksoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:52 AM

heylong ears what is the url for the other site...just curiose to see what the came up with
[size=2]

#37 slenon

slenon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

The crab/lobster spoon/fork combination tool found at kitchen shops makes a great tool for spreading soft epoxy and other soft glues and cements.

The ends can be sharpened with a file to chisel-like edges if you like.

The give-away magnets that come with pizza or other fast food are perfect sizes to glue to the back of a small fly box to hold nymphs and emergers in place. They can also be cut into pieces, glued to the inside of fly boxes to hold dries and streamers. The price is just about perfect.
Cu Zev

drown flies to darkstar

#38 CraigG

CraigG

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

unsure.gif

Don't know if this has been mentioned but as a dubbing comb, I have pinched one of my soldering tools. It has a handy strong wire brush on one end that is great for dubbing etc after I cut it down a bit. You can pick these up at all sorts of electronics stores etc really cheap ($1 ??). Hard to explain what I am talking about so a picture tells a thousand words....

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.jpg   96.63K   191 downloads

Regards,

Craig