Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Which hand do you tie with?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: What hand do you tie with?

What hand do you hold the bobbin in when doing main wraps?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:59 AM

Points right. Your poll is kind of skewed though since right handers will go right and left will go left. I think what you really wanted was those that tie with their non dominant hand.
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#17 CapeBSalar

CapeBSalar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:32 AM

I'm a right handed person who learned to tie left handed, don't ask why, just happened that way, makes learning different techniques from books a little harder as everything is geared towards right handed tier's tying right handed. One problem I had was my married wings and how I built them, it was totally backwards! Ron Alcott pointed that out to me. GOod advice.
I'm not about to change, I'm very comfortable tying this way! smile.gif
Canadian Fly Tyer's

Damian's Flytyer.ca Profile

Damian's Classic Salmon Fly Website

Fly Tyer's Daily Blog

"Neither is there a right way nor a wrong way to tie a fly---sometimes just a better way."
J. Edson Leonard (Preface to his 1988 Edition of Flies, 1950, A.S. Barnes, NY)

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreu

riversedgeflyfishing@ns.sympatico.ca

#18 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:46 PM

IM a swithch hitter, can tie with it either way, but i primarily tie right handed.

Growing up left handed in a world of right handed, sadistic nuns, when in school forced me to be that way. (i still fear rulers and women in black)
If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#19 JoeFish

JoeFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:22 PM

Mc Fly,
I was going for exactly what i am getting I just was curious who ties with what hand.

Joe
Formerly known as Swinks1966

#20 trout traveler

trout traveler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:36 PM

I am left handed but can tie either way depending on whats going on.Shoot bow right handed,a gun left handed,pistol both hands dry.gif .But right left but write right also.I guess i'm in the middle.

tt
[/QUOTE]
Deep in the heart of every man is a longing to live as God designed.
Nowere is the freedom to do that more possible than in the wilderness and beauty of God'screations.
Fly rod in hand fish on.
URL: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/

#21 yakfisher

yakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:38 PM

I am left handed and tie and do 99.9% of everything else left handed.

#22 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:48 AM

Another vote for right handed here! Never tried to tie left handed before I may have to do try just to see how it works. I can bat and play hockey with either hand but I usually can't do other stuff like swing a hammer or write left handed.

Oh and Will,
That whole left handed people are more intelligent thing...... it was a lefty that came up with that little gem just to make themselves feel NORMAL! gun_bandana.gif devil.gif boxing.gif
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#23 Irish

Irish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:18 PM

smalliehunter I knew that youy were a good fella. I am of the lefty side too.

Irish
[B][FONT=Geneva][SIZE=1]"Sometimes the fish bite and sometimes they don't" John Likakis

#24 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:48 PM

Right
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#25 Blueman89

Blueman89

Didn't I ever tell ya about Bumbles? Bumbles Bounce!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:18 PM

Righty for everything but hockey and Baseball, switch hitter there. Still throw right handed though. Trying to teach myself to cast lefty incase I ever need it.
Jerry

"Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't , You're Right "- Henry Ford

IPB Image

#26 Sticky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:51 AM

I'm righthanded and I skate goofy.

#27 Thibodeau

Thibodeau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(SmallieHunter @ Oct 11 2005, 09:42 PM) View Post

Ya know, they say that left handed people are far more intelligent than right handed people wink.gif

Auh, no there not not. Left handed people tend to be more creative in the arts such as music, painting etc...
Auh and Serial Killing. hysterical.gif
Kaylee & Scott

#28 Gregg A

Gregg A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:08 PM

I'm a lefty but wrap with the right, just because I can hold my materials in place better with the left.
The only Zen you'll find at the top of a mountain is the Zen you take up there with you.

#29 WYKnot

WYKnot

I may be retired....BUT YOU BETTER MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON TIME FOR MY SWAP MAGGOT...NOW DROP AND GIMME 20!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:06 AM

Right handed for thread work and anything else that takes a steady touch.

Interesting to note that about 87-90 percent of the human population is right-hand dominant (based on dominant hand for writing). Not at all a trait shared among other animals, to include nonhuman primates, where handiness is more symmetrical. The influence may be both selective (genetic) as well as acquired from learning manual task from others. My Dad is left-handed and he taught me to deal cards, a task I also do left handed.
Russ Forney

#30 JarrodRuggles

JarrodRuggles

Banned from fishing in 48 states~!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:01 PM

I tye with my teeth

banned from fishing the other 2 states...