Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

"Daves Flex cement" thinner?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 binfordw

binfordw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:49 PM

I need to know what I can use to thin my flex cement with. When I bought it the guy told me I needed a special thinner- at least I think, I wasnt listening.. lol.

Thanks

Ben W

#2 ashbourn

ashbourn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:57 PM

Daves sells a thinner for their cement, you will problay use 4 bottles of thinner for every bottle of cement.

Joe Fox
www.detteflies.com
www.spasegreymatter.com

#3 Sawcat

Sawcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:00 PM

Tolulene

#4 Thibodeau

Thibodeau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE(Sawcat @ Oct 12 2005, 07:00 PM) View Post

Tolulene

TOLUENE, its a solvent.
Kaylee & Scott

#5 Sawcat

Sawcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:29 PM

Ding Ding Ding that's right! Dave's Flexament is shoe goo thinned with tolulene. By the Way it is not only a solvent but it is very bad for you. Vapors can kill you, it can be absorbed through your skin, and it is highly flammable.

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,446 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 07:05 PM

Throw it away and use "Griffs Thin" head cement. biggrin.gif
Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

#7 boba

boba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 10:44 PM

::Reads replies:: ::Gasps and slowly begins to asphyxiate::
Dunno what really is in the Flexament. Tolulene does concern me, but if it is in Flexament, I haven't seen any ill effects thus far. However, I do keep it capped with a bodkin through the plastic inside top and only take that off when coating threads or materials. When I'm done, the bodkin is removed and the regular top put back on. I get allergic breathing and skin reactions to a lot of glues and thus far haven't had a problem with Flexament.
Hunters Angling sells both Flexament and Thinner at reasonable prices and the 4:1 ratio of Thinner to Flexament is about right.

#8 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:06 AM

Is it allowed in Canada, does anyone know?
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#9 3wt

3wt

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(Joe Hard @ Oct 21 2005, 10:06 AM) View Post

Is it allowed in Canada, does anyone know?

Yes, and it's a very popular product. I use it all the time however I'm not sure about any health issues that the product may cause.