Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hunter's Angling Changes Ownership and Banner

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:02 PM

Stone River Outfitters purchases Hunter's Angling Supply:

http://www.huntersangling.com

#2 CapeBSalar

CapeBSalar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:19 PM

That's interesting wonder what's going on there. Is Bill of ill health? He's been in business for quite some time hasn't he?

Canadian Fly Tyer's

Damian's Flytyer.ca Profile

Damian's Classic Salmon Fly Website

Fly Tyer's Daily Blog

"Neither is there a right way nor a wrong way to tie a fly---sometimes just a better way."
J. Edson Leonard (Preface to his 1988 Edition of Flies, 1950, A.S. Barnes, NY)

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreu

riversedgeflyfishing@ns.sympatico.ca

#3 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:41 PM

It's too bad that they're closing the shop and dumping the name. sad.gif Bill Hunter is arguably the godfather for the North American salmon fly tying culture.

I was there a couple of years ago for a weekend tying class and the atmosphere and ambience was what you would expect of an old New England fly shop.

I hope they continue the tying class series, I was considering another this winter.

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#4 FKROW

FKROW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:02 PM

I have visited Hunter's Angling Supplies since the mid 1970's, it was an icon for special order materials, the HMH vise, Stan Bogdan reels etc.

Bill Hunter sold Hunter's Angling Supplies to Nick Wilder in the later 1980's

He traveled for Frontier's and opened new destination arround the world for the years after the sale.

Bill started up a new shop in New London, NH about 5-7 years ago it is named W.S. Hunter & Co. he sold this fly shop to Mike Sicola about 3 years ago.

Rumor is that Bill is now pursuing golf in retirement somewhere in Florida.

Regards,
Fred K