Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New ways to choose woolys!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 down2earthlv

down2earthlv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:30 PM

My 3 year old son loves the colors of all the materials in my box! I make a pile of chenille, a pile of marabou, and a pile of hackles, (all in the packages) then I instruct Jacob to pick out one of each. What ever he picks is how I build my bugger. He is pretty good about sitting still on my lap and keeping his hands down, as long as I can tie fast enough to keep his interest...... When you run out of ideas or start looking for new hot color patterns, try this out....you might be surprised how well your kid can design a wooly bugger!
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

#2 Fry Flier

Fry Flier

Beginners Permit Required

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:41 PM

Good concept there, you should post a fly or 2 of your collective arrangement.
"A Promise made is a debt unpaid"
........ Robert Service
. Jan. 16, 1874 - Sept. 11, 1958

#3 down2earthlv

down2earthlv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:30 PM

here is my sons latest...he has decided that he gets to choose the specific individual feathers now....

Attached Files

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

#4 Redwings1

Redwings1

solid technique with a dash of style

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:20 PM

Is that one of those new 'atomic buggers'... bugeyes.gif
No way a fish will be able to ignore that one!
-Mike Schmidt of ANGLERSCHOICEFLIES.COM

IPB Image

#5 down2earthlv

down2earthlv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

I'll see if I can get my kid to name it tonight......'atomic' probably wont be his first choice though.....I'm sure it will be sponge bob or something along those lines....

#6 sniksoh

sniksoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:30 PM

ill have to try that when i get a kid...lol!!! what the heck am i thinking about...im only 15
[size=2]

#7 down2earthlv

down2earthlv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:26 PM

Easy there killer.....your time will come soon enough! I had my son before I could (legally) drink, I don't regret having him, but I do wish I had thought things through a little better. Believe me, your young years are much better spent fishing than chasing girls.....regardless what your hormones are screaming at you. If you listen to anything today, listen to all I've said........Anyway, Closing your eyes and putting your hand into a pile of materials works just as well.....and it's cheaper!! hysterical.gif

#8 flyfishpj

flyfishpj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:55 PM

That's a sweet bugger. I give your kid some props. He's ffor sure gonna be a good tyer!

#9 flypimp

flypimp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:46 PM

I new at tying,so my four year old son and I sit down and go through fly fishing magizines and he pics out some flies for me to tie and then when I finish we put the first one in his fishing hat. It works great, I learn to tie a new pattern and we still get to spend time together. biggrin.gif

#10 madkasel

madkasel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:06 PM

That's awesome.

My 8 year old ties up a lot of flies... mostly buggers, but humbugs and other things of his own invention as well... and the other day I stood very quietly off to the side as he taught my 6 year old how to tie up a wolly bugger. Man was that cool to watch.
The precious stones in the queen's round metal hat glittered like jewels in a crown.

#11 down2earthlv

down2earthlv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:23 AM

thats great.....Its good to see that we are all eager to leave our talent and skill in the hands of the next generation!

#12 letumgo

letumgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:24 PM

down2earthlv - your posting reminds me of some flies that I tied with my kids to get them interested in fly tying. I had them pick out different colors of chennile and rubber leg material to create miniature versions of themselves. We would name each fly after themselves and I would fish the flies and tell them which one caught more fish. They loved mixing and matching the colors to make different versions and it was a a lot of fun for me to see how creative they could be. It turned out that these were very effective flies (I caught my first carp on a miniture version of my oldest son...).

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for reminding me of the fun we (my kids and I) had while tying "Little People" flies.

Here is a couple photos showing two of the flies. Enjoy.

Attached Files

http://www.flytyingf...gettyer=letumgo

Ray (letumgo) <)((((><<

#13 down2earthlv

down2earthlv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 07:44 PM

'Little People Flys'.....could this lead to a new swap?.....hmmm.....

#14 chrisfish

chrisfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

I like the arrangment down to earth. my boy will have alot of fun with this. I was completely blown away when one of my teenage daughters asked if she could tie a fly. I gave her free reign of all that is on my table and left her alone. She went to town with no training or advice and created some great flies. I took her out to a local spot and we both hooked up with a fish on one of her flies. it was neat. Too this day i swear bye one of her creations. it speaks volumes for simplicity and it catches fish. especialy cold water early season fish.

The Kaylidh minnow
[attachmentid=4978]

Attached Files

#15 madkasel

madkasel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:26 PM

Cool looking fly she came up with!

My two kids conspired together on a new kind of woolly bugger where they tie in some colorful hackle tips at the top of the fly. Looks pretty cool. No idea how it fishes... everything is too weedy 'round here to be pitching a bugger.

It's just a fantastic thing to do with kids.
The precious stones in the queen's round metal hat glittered like jewels in a crown.