Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bluegill

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:42 PM

A new addition to the fly pattern database has been submitted by OLB:

Bluegill (click link for more info)

#2 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:44 PM

I think this will be alright for a bluegill imitation

#3 harleyhunter

harleyhunter

It only rains on my fishing days.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:46 PM

Looks good to me buddy. Nice pattern.

Sam
Genesis 1:20-23 KJV

#4 sage8wt

sage8wt

Day5 makes me weak in the waders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:47 PM

OLB- I think it looks real good! Done a "wet-test" on it yet? I believe that will definitely get it done for you! Great job
Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.
-Norman Maclean

#5 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:50 PM

see if bud can get any of these feathers from his peacocks for you I got this one from the swap box it was the only one I found (It was in the peacock bag so I think it is a peacock feather??) I have always thought it looked like a gill. Im hoping that with 3 pics you can get a good look at it. I like the version 3 the best. looking good.

Attached Files

Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#6 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:54 PM

Yeah I sink tested it while the dry pic uploaded, holds some of it's bulk, enough tht it should still trick a fish into thinking it's a juvenile bluegill, but not as much as I'm looking for. I think this basic setup with a different material such as artic fox or something similiar that will hold it's profile a little better in the water will be better for imitating the gills in the 4"< size range. I guess the nice thing about this one is bass shouldn't shy away from it's size

#7 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:56 PM

Ya know what really looks really similiar to a gill? A peacock eye! Too bad it wouldn't hold up to a pike's teeth ive_been_ripped.gif

I'll have to ask Bud about those though headbang.gif

#8 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:12 PM

What you need is a hackle or a collar of bucktail or something as an under wing to keep the marabou from colapsing. What about tying on your tail then somebuctail like a hoolow fly and then add your marabou wing? Also if you jerk strip this fly all that marabou will pulse anyway. I liked the addition of the blue in the wing. The more colours the better for a triggering factor. Chuck in some flash and you will be laughing. Im also thinking bugger head, from wool or deer hair. By the way what type of wood is your fly on? Nice light grain.

Im thinking that is a macaw feather.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#9 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:21 AM

OLB-

Try a pattern that uses the "high tie" style. They hold they're silhouette in the water much better than marabou.

You can do an internet search for grocery flies, or for Page Roger's Big Eye Baitfish pattern. Both use the method and maintain their shape very well.
Mark

#10 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:19 PM

Love the big eye baitfish style and this bluegill pattern will lend well to it. Nice job!
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!