Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

All swappers must read

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:57 PM

It has come to my attention that lately there has been a rash of people dropping out of swaps for some reason or another, weather legitimate or otherwise.
This type of behavior has a souring effect on people’s attitudes toward participating in swaps on this web site.
Before you join or even host a swap make sure you have ample time in your schedule to complete your flies and make a note of which swaps you have joined and when the deadlines are.
And please read and understand the rules of each swap before joining.
Dropping out of swap for legitimate reasons is understandable, but if not meeting your swap obligations become a common practice.

Please be advised that the management and moderators will be starting to keep track of how many time individual swappers drop out of swaps and any excessive noncompliance and your screen name will end up on a list that Swap meisters can view to determine if they want you in the swap that they're hosting.
OSD.

user posted image

#2 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:07 PM

Just a quick addition to what Bob said. For any member hosting swaps, we need your help in keeping track of people who are dropping out. There is so much that we keep track of that it would be hard for us to keep tabs on everything going on with the swaps. I am most interested in people who are "no shows" and no contact is made and they seem to have just disappeared.

We understand that things to come up that take a higher priority and are out of your control. It is only those who do this repeatedly that we are looking to weed out.

test

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,478 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:00 PM

To all swappers-

Myself and the other mods have noticed and been discussing a growing problem here. Awhile back OSD posted a notice to all swappers to make sure that you are on time for any swaps you decide to join, and yet if anything we notice that things have done nothing but get worse over the past 6 months. It seem's to be common practice for swappers lately to wait till the week before the deadline to tie and then send thier flies to the SM, that is NOT the way a swap should be done, that not only makes it hard for the swapmeister but in 90% of the cases it prolongs the swap because of time restraints for the flies to get to the SM by the due date. Another problem is there are guys that spend extra money to next day air their flies so they are there by the due date and then the swap ends up being extended because of a number of swappers that still don't have their flies to the SM on time, so that guy that spent the extra $5/10 to get his flies to the SM on time is just screwed because of the other late swappers.

It's pretty simple guys and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand this.....If you don't have time to fulfill your commetment to get the flies to the SM on time then DONT join the swap! And furthermore the due date is the date that the flies have to be in the SM's hands...NOT the date that the flies need to be in the mail. So if you live out of the country and you know darn well that your flies take 2 weeks transit time then make sure you mail them at least 2 weeks before the deadline, not 2 days before the deadline.

These things should be self-explainatory and we really should not have to even bring them up, but this is simply getting out of control and we will not let late swappers ruin the name of FTF swaps that we have all worked so hard to uphold. We have warned in the past that we would start keeping a list of swappers that held up swaps and we are now doing that. If we notice a trend where someone is late a couple time in a short period then that person will be banned from participating in anymore swaps.

This has been agreed upon by all the mods and everyone will be watching the swaps to make sure things are run in a smooth easy manner.

FTF Staff

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#4 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:20 PM

Thank You!! biggrin.gif
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#5 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(steeldrifter @ Jan 1 2006, 04:00 PM) View Post
Another problem is there are guys that spend extra money to next day air their flies so they are there by the due date and then the swap ends up being extended because of a number of swappers that still don't have their flies to the SM on time, so that guy that spent the extra $5/10 to get his flies to the SM on time is just screwed because of the other late swappers.

Indeed!

Thanks Steve.

Cheers!

Gary

A bad day of fishing is still fishing!

#6 Linesides

Linesides

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:49 PM

Thank you for this reminder.
The Squirrel
www.saltwateredge.com
www.saltwaterflies.com

#7 CapeBSalar

CapeBSalar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

Amen Brother!

headbang.gif
Canadian Fly Tyer's

Damian's Flytyer.ca Profile

Damian's Classic Salmon Fly Website

Fly Tyer's Daily Blog

"Neither is there a right way nor a wrong way to tie a fly---sometimes just a better way."
J. Edson Leonard (Preface to his 1988 Edition of Flies, 1950, A.S. Barnes, NY)

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreu

riversedgeflyfishing@ns.sympatico.ca

#8 Don Stracener

Don Stracener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

Right On! Make a date, keep it...

#9 harleyhunter

harleyhunter

It only rains on my fishing days.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:12 PM

We have warned in the past that we would start keeping a list of swappers that held up swaps and we are now doing that. If we notice a trend where someone is late a couple time in a short period then that person will be banned from participating in anymore swaps.

I think its a great idea!!!
Genesis 1:20-23 KJV

#10 conehead

conehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:20 PM

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU,

I was involved in several swaps last year that went well. I got stuck on two swaps (3 dozen flies) I eventually got my flies back, but have not participated since. My tying time is too valuable. I will probably get involved again, knowing the Mods are keeping watch; who knows I may even host now that the word has gone out.

Thanks Guys,
Conehead
7,793,638 fly patterns out there; face it, I'm gonna be late for work.

#11 trout traveler

trout traveler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

I will agree and Will also say that i have been guilty of not tying them but forgetting to mail them a realized that i haven't.So i will make sure that they are mailed on a fashionable and timely manner from here on out.Like i say if i'm quilty i'll be the first to admit it.

tt
[/QUOTE]
Deep in the heart of every man is a longing to live as God designed.
Nowere is the freedom to do that more possible than in the wilderness and beauty of God'screations.
Fly rod in hand fish on.
URL: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/

#12 wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter

Hello my names Brent...and i'm a Swapaholic,but i can quit anytime i want..really!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:46 PM

Not much to figure out....A due date is a due date. laugh.gif
Let's not let this thread go South. It's just a reminder to get swap flies in on time.

#13 mkankmike

mkankmike

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:20 AM

After reading this post I can see that this is a more common problem then I thought it was. I'm currently running a swap on another forum & I'm getting a little frustrated about it. The dead line was set for Sept 19th giving the tyers 2 months to complete their flies. I'm still waiting for 2 sets to arrive. One from over seas & one from someone who I've messaged twice & still have gotten no response.

I really enjoy swaps, but that one is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Glad to see someone is doing something about it here.

Time spent fishing cannot be deducted from one's lifespan, including catch & release - Unknown

#14 Backcastwards

Backcastwards

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Jan 1 2006, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another problem is there are guys that spend extra money to next day air their flies so they are there by the due date and then the swap ends up being extended because of a number of swappers that still don't have their flies to the SM on time, so that guy that spent the extra $5/10 to get his flies to the SM on time is just screwed because of the other late swappers.

OK, lets blame someone else because your flies weren't ready on time to be shipped on the cheap.

#15 jburge

jburge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

Got an "amen" from the choir here ;-)

John