Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

A good source for copper wire

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:09 PM

The other day i got board and decided to smash an old DSL filter line,inside there are little black spools with around 50 yards of copper wire wrapped around them,so basically i never need to buy copper ever again:)
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

"Every now and then, we tie a fly that is above our level of proficency. These ties seem to come out of nowhere, and serve to propel us to a new level in our tying. They're almost magical, and we can certainly feel this as we tie, and yet, we never really know when, or if, that feeling will strike us again."Flounder

"We oughtn't tie to please others. If we're happy, that is what it is all about."Ronn Lucas Sr.

In Memory Of Derek Burwood

17 April 1955-17 December 2007

#2 Blueman89

Blueman89

Didn't I ever tell ya about Bumbles? Bumbles Bounce!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

I did the same thing except with an old toaster. Got probably 150-200 yards of copper wire. headbang.gif
Jerry

"Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't , You're Right "- Henry Ford

IPB Image

#3 bentflyrod

bentflyrod

"BEST FREAKIN' RELATOR"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:04 AM

Cord off an old hair dryer. It's a thicker gage. And I found a cord without any thing attach. Some kind of Computer cord. It has a very fine wire. They are both striped and hanging in my tying room!

BFR

IT'S SANTA SWAP SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 broadcj

broadcj

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

Your local hardware store sells copper wire by the foot in almost every size and if there are nice workers sometimes they will give you the scraps for nothing, they don't mind a free clean-up!! If they don't give it away you can almost steal it for the price you can get it for, ACE Hardware has a 20% off-sale this saturday, go and pack a bag full and get some cheap stuff. Look on the aisle with picture hangers, sometimes there is copper wire their too. This is especially good if your wife will kick you out of the house for using her hair dryer cord.

Good Luck,
Jake

#5 billb

billb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:02 PM

My favorite source of copper wire for tying is scrap 4-wire phone cable wire, aka "communication cable." You can strip off the colored plastic insulation or use it with the insulation intact. The Percy's Sand Eel pattern calls for the latter.

--Bill

#6 stuck-in-muck

stuck-in-muck

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:48 PM

ask your mechanic for old windshield washer pump motors they replace.
or if you can stand the gas smell ,,old fuel filter .
if nature calls... hang up.
far from being able to tye a fly , im barely able to zip one.

#7 stuck-in-muck

stuck-in-muck

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:07 PM

old fuel filter pump that is .
if nature calls... hang up.
far from being able to tye a fly , im barely able to zip one.

#8 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:07 PM

There are SO many things out there with copper wire... Anything with an electric motor and many electronic devices... hair dryer, windshield wiper motor, aquarium pump, toaster, radio, the list is endless. Depending on the application - size of the motor, ac/dc, amps, etc. - the wire can be very tiny to big and bulky.

The only caution here is that the copper degrades due to heat/cold cycling. It can become faded and brittle. That and the fact that some of it will be dipped in varnish and hard to uncoil.

If you're lucky, you might even find some colored wire!

Tying on a budget.... I LOVE IT! headbang.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#9 mitch821

mitch821

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE(billb @ Apr 12 2006, 07:02 PM) View Post

My favorite source of copper wire for tying is scrap 4-wire phone cable wire, aka "communication cable." You can strip off the colored plastic insulation or use it with the insulation intact. The Percy's Sand Eel pattern calls for the latter.

--Bill

biggrin.gif I've got about 15-18lbs of copper "jumper wire" and cat 5 under my desk bugeyes.gif I saw this post and it got me thinking.... smile.gif I was kinda curious if the insulation, when properly stripped would act as a great set of legs? I've got white/blue,blue,white/orange,orange,white/brown,brownwhite,red,green...and the funny thing is, its all scraps...from about 5' to 25' lengths