Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How many hours a week do you spend tying?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: How many hours a week do you spend tying?

How many hours a week do you spend tying?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:03 PM

Take the poll and tell us how many hours you tie a week and what you spend the most time on.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#2 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:21 PM

Maybe a dozen or two beadhead midges a week... if that much.

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.

#3 fly time

fly time

I love country boys!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

blink.gif I spend between 30to50 hrs. a week tying, Wow I need to get out more dry.gif or I just have the same sickness that we most all on this site share, but it keeps me out of trouble, and its relaxing to me, most of the time. When ever im not doing something else im tying and I love it cool.gif
CAT FAST KITTEN SMOOTHE, OFTEN IMITATED, BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!!!!

#4 Jeff Kimball

Jeff Kimball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:31 PM

Couple hours in the evenings so 10-15 a week. I got suckered into a few orders though so I'm gonna have to start kicking it up on the weekends.
Missionary for the church of partridge

#5 mb82

mb82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

Most of mine is on Wed nights when I go to Flytying class. Other then that I might fit an hour or two total a week here and there.
Jeff
Richmond Va

"As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls."
-- M. Cartmill

#6 munky

munky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

Usually every day I spend at least an hour. On weekends when i'm not fishing I'll tie for 3-5 hours each day.

#7 duckydoty

duckydoty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:21 PM

Try to hit it an hour or so 2-3 nights a week and a couple hours on the weekend
Duckydoty
A little rain wont hurt them fish--They're already wet

#8 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:14 PM

15 to 20 but it could be more or less by a couple of hours. This amount of time equals 3 or 4 Atlantic salmon flies.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#9 sage8wt

sage8wt

Day5 makes me weak in the waders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

been unemployed for 3 weeks now. Kept a running tally of hours logged last week........65 + for the week. I need a life.
Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.
-Norman Maclean

#10 Flyweaver

Flyweaver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:00 AM

I usually tie a couple of houres a day after work to unwind. If I get tyers block I like to experement. I tie a lot of woven body flies.
Right now I am trying some woven body helgramites.
The only thing golden about the golden years is your urine

#11 JJD

JJD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:23 PM

I usually tie a couple of houres a day after work to unwind.

+1
I usually try to keep my SW stock up...unless I'm tying specific requests from a few guide friends, I usually tie for 5-8 hours. Weekends vary - it could be another 5-8 or 0 depending upon family "events" (3 kids!).

#12 Blues Brother

Blues Brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:13 PM

Lately, with school and tennis practice becoming more and more intense, I haven't been able to tie any during the week. My tying has been limited to just a couple of hours on the weekends. sad.gif
~El Pescador~

#13 burninbriar

burninbriar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:27 AM

Thats a tough question for me. When I'm into tying I stay at it pretty steady, but when I'm done it might be several weeks or more before I get back to it.

#14 TerryLee

TerryLee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE(burninbriar @ Feb 25 2006, 01:27 AM) View Post
Thats a tough question for me. When I'm into tying I stay at it pretty steady, but when I'm done it might be several weeks or more before I get back to it.

I'm the same way. Some weeks I spend more time buying materials than tying tongue.gif . I'm sure I'm the only one, too, right? dunno.gif

Terry

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

#15 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:03 AM

I tie when I have the urge to tie or when swap flies need to get done but I dont let tying get in the way of other things I want to do.
Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.