Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How many hours a week do you spend tying?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: How many hours a week do you spend tying?

How many hours a week do you spend tying?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 AKSkim

AKSkim

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:08 AM

Greetings fellow tyiers. I usually spend 2-3 hours per day at the vise. I am usually up at 0300 every morning and I'll start my day off with coffee and tie a few flies before I head off to work. At night I'll watch TV while tying, and sometimes I'll just sit at the desk and not do a thing but relax. On the advise of my doctor, wife and family I needed to slow down and get a hobby, and this has saved my life.
Trout live in beautiful places

#32 streamcaddis

streamcaddis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

yahoo.gif I spend about fifteen hours a week tying. I like to tie nymphs, streamers and caddis mostly. I also do bluegill flies when the grand kids hit me up for them. I have spent three hours so far today. It's snowing like 4#@^^ today... yahoo.gif yahoo.gif
I was tying flies and fly fishing before it got trendy.

#33 Linesides

Linesides

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:52 AM

Since the cabin maybe 1 hour a month. Should be picking up soon. I have been given a dedicated space of 10 x 20 for a fly tying and fishing room.
www.saltwateredge.com
www.saltwaterflies.com

#34 arkfisher

arkfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:18 PM

I was told once by a professor that a student has the option to take on 2 of 3 things. You can pick from a personal life, school work, and a job.

Well, since I'm in graduate school now and my stipend is pretty good, school IS my job headbang.gif so....my personal life consists of fly tying...probably 15-20 hours a week biggrin.gif

I have to say, I've only been tying since july, but I'm totally addicted...this stuff is like crack! tongue.gif
Catch and Release....zero limit..

#35 smokinprice

smokinprice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:42 PM

Well since I work full time, I am back in college taking two classes and just had another kid, I dont tie nearly as much as I would like. I cant wait for retirement! Maybe 3 hours a week if that.

#36 chrisfish

chrisfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

i would say in the winter about 8-10+ hours a week. during the fishin season that will fall off to 2-3 hrs. just enough time to finish swps up and keep the flybox full.

#37 steelie

steelie

Steelie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

Good Day,

Too much! Haha... So long ans when the weather clears up I actually go fishing!

Man, I can't wait to get these donation flies finished... haven't tied one for myself in a while. Still have around 10 dozen donation flies to complete... I have got to stop saying yes! tongue.gif

Steellie
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Bill Cosby

#38 flyfishingtaz

flyfishingtaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:53 PM

I myself tie about 2-3hrs a night. I mostly tie in the winter, due to not being able to fish. On the weekends I can spend up to 6hrs a day tying without a problem. I have a VERY understanding g.f.!! tongue.gif
I love farm ponds!! You can catch gills all day, and not care about hooking into a bigger

MY BLOG

#39 Curtis Fry

Curtis Fry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:38 PM

..definitely not as much as I'd like. I'd take a stab and say 10 hrs a week give or take 10 hours...

>>>>>>>  HD Fly Tying Tutorial Videos <<<<<<<

>>>>  Fly Tying Blog: www.flyfishfood.com <<<<

#40 Jeremism30

Jeremism30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

5-10 per week. I might tie for 2-3 months then take a couple weeks off.

Also, tend to tie more often when I'm stressed out, it's relaxing.

#41 DeweyGreen

DeweyGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:52 PM

I'm just starting out but I've been tying for about an hour a night.
mostley wooly buggers and marabou streamers but starting on more hares ear nymphs and brown hackle drys. hey it's only been 3 weeks give me time I'll learn more help.gif
Are we all just puppet masters floating our little fly puppets to an audience of fish ??
www.lrsa.org

#42 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:11 PM

I usually tie about two or three days a week. About two hours per session. Most of my flies are tied with deer hair. I started tying in 1965 using an old Hurters fly tying kit. It was a piece of junk, but shortly after I bought a better vise.

#43 stinky

stinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:14 PM

For me I probably spend anywhere from 10 to 15 hours a week.

Alot of my tying is for friends. Of course I do my own for the season as well.
Strictly Fly Fishing

#44 kamloopstrout

kamloopstrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:31 PM

Hi,
I tie everyday of the year; most weeks 20-30hrs. When I am not tying I am reading about tying or looking for new materials.
Cheers, kt

#45 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:30 PM

I run a boiler room at night a few nights a week and my boss doesn't mind me tying at work as long as everything is running properly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B