Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How many hours a week do you spend tying?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: How many hours a week do you spend tying?

How many hours a week do you spend tying?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 birdman6

birdman6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

The wife says too many wallbash.gif I say not enough whistling1.gif 8-10 hours a week..
the fish of a lifetime is out there, you just need to catch it.

#77 GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

I always spend at lease 14 to 16 hours a day tying.

#78 Bryan Wright

Bryan Wright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (GrizzlyBear @ Oct 16 2010, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always spend at lease 14 to 16 hours a day tying.

A day wow thtat much tying would give me carpal tunnel LOL.
Posted Image

If you always try what you have always done, nothing will ever change!
-Tony Robbins

#79 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:09 PM

about 10-15 hours or so a week... focus depends on my mood....

saltwater flies for barramundi, mangrove jack (I think you northerners refer to them as mangrove snapper dry.gif ), and bream
other flies for freshwater applications chasing sooty grunter and jungle perch, and the oxeye herring (a small cousin of your atlantic tarpon)

and lately
dry flies and nymphs for my trip to Tasmania at Christmas

Dave Little
Club President, North Queensland Fly Fishers Inc.
www.nqflyfishers.com

#80 Fly Tyer Guy

Fly Tyer Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:55 AM

It does vary, sometimes I don't even get one hour in, and some weeks like the last couple, I think I've gotten more than 20.

Visit my website, My Webpage, A work in progress

Dustin Driscoll

#81 tmatt26

tmatt26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

I usually kick my tying into gear over the summer as needed and whenever I am stuck at home for school breaks. Usually pack up the materials I need for a few patterns, watch tv and tie. Fly tying is calming and is like hitting the reset button every now and then if only for a few hours or so.

#82 Mr. Vegas

Mr. Vegas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:29 AM

i will throw in a movie and just start cracking away. I usually get through 2 or 3 movies before I call it a day. Newly retired at age 28 smile.gif so I have the time to do it. Have pretty much done it every day since I started in July
AKA---- Dustin READ MY BLOG :) http://dustinsflybox.blogspot.com/
Just picked up tying summer '10 and now I am hooked and a fanatic!!

If I can tie a fly ANYONE can!!!

Vouches Beginnerflytyer - day5 - rich mc - utyer - flytyer14- breambuster - letumgo- fly fischa

#83 Bucky1

Bucky1

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:35 PM

I spend approximately between 10-15 hrs a week.When I come home from work and I feel a little stressed out,guess where you can find me? That's right at my bench.

#84 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

I spend approximately between 10-15 hrs a week.When I come home from work and I feel a little stressed out,guess where you can find me? That's right at my bench.

Welcome to FTF, post some fish or fly photos whenever you get ready...

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Established: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!"

#85 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,929 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

i will throw in a movie and just start cracking away. I usually get through 2 or 3 movies before I call it a day. Newly retired at age 28 http://www.flytyingf..._DIR#/smile.gif so I have the time to do it. Have pretty much done it every day since I started in July

When do you fit in fly tying?
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#86 mybadhabit

mybadhabit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:23 PM

For me it depends on the mood, I spent almost a year away from the vise and now have come back to it and started tying a few hours a week, but if February I will start teaching veterans at the local VFW post how to tye, it will happen twice a month for 3 hours, so that will boost up the amount of time I will be tying.  It and pandora are my keys to sanity and relaxation.  Just finished a book on soft-hackles and now have a curiosity about them so will probably be tying more of them than I did in the past.

I remember when I was tying a few hours a night, and fished only once every couple months, but that was mostly for swaps, it really got me started on tying and I learned a lot during those first  couple of years due to the amount of swaps that I entered.  It really made me stretch into new stuff that I hadn't done before by entering swaps.  I got to find out that I could really tye size 22 midges, and liked doing it, even though it is hard to see things that small, I love the challenge of trying new fly tying skills, reminds me that it is a craft and a hobby that I can learn from and will never master.  There are too many things to learn that I don't think that anyone could ever master all the things that are involved with tying in a lifetime, and I really like that idea.  

Blane