Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

chicken feathers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 polock

polock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:31 AM

i was over at my in-laws and they have a chicken coop, got lots of assorted feathers from the cages. then i saw this freakin awesome bird that had absolutely beautiful hackle all over it... came really close to "accidently" nocking a board into the hen and having to skin it and freeze it. If my father in law wouldn't kick my ass, that bird would be drying as we speak lol. almost looked like a jungle cock

#2 Hot Tuna

Hot Tuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:49 PM

I wonder if you could use the insane for hackle defense in Chicken Court!!!.... wink.gif
All the best,
Hot Tuna

#3 polock

polock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:33 PM

not sure, but i found out this lady sells full grown roosters around here for like 3 bucks.... sooo i figure whole chicken to put on the smoker drunken style, and some killer hackles.. can there be anything better lol

#4 fly time

fly time

I love country boys!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:09 PM

wink.gif Polock, I like the way you think biggrin.gif
CAT FAST KITTEN SMOOTHE, OFTEN IMITATED, BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!!!!

#5 sniksoh

sniksoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:16 PM

all u have to do is tell your father in law that the chicken tried to attack u and u hit it over the head with a piece of wood, or somthing like that...lol!!!! i crack my self up!!!lol
[size=2]

#6 fish`n feind

fish`n feind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:48 AM

when you find chicken feathers in a coup do you have to wash them? or delice before you tie? dunno.gif

#7 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:59 AM

$3.00 a bird is a real good deal.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#8 Sturgeon_Catcher

Sturgeon_Catcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:55 AM

Might not be a bad idea to put the found feathers in a big zip loc bag to isolate them. If there is bugs a little shake of the bag after isolating them for a time may divulge critters. If they are mis-shaped you could steam them but otherwise - isolate and tie away.
later
Fred
El Burro sabes mas que tu!
I've got my eye on you!

#9 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:44 AM

Reminds me of the time when I was a young whipersnapper that I decided to do a little target practice with my rifle. Tacked a paper target to the side of one of my uncle's farm buildings. It was a chicken coop.
Need I say more??
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#10 fish`n feind

fish`n feind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

#11 down2earthlv

down2earthlv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

gun_bandana.gif gun_bandana.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif gunsmilie.gif gunsmilie.gif

LOL!!! I'll bet the farm your backside was a little hot after that one!!!!!!
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt