Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jon Boy

Olive Wolly Bugger

hi everyone

the rivers are high this weekend very high.

i have little experience fishing streamers but it may be the best chance of a trout this weekend.

i would be graeful to hear of any presentation tips

You cant go wrong with an olive bugger :headbang:

Two popular ways to fish streamers. The first is like doty just mentioned. Then the other is to use a full sinking line, cast directly across stream, and retrieve with a jerk strip. Jerk the rod 12-20 inches to move the fly, then strip in the line as the rod returns back to the starting position and repeat. Ethier method should get you into some fish with that bugger.

I caught my first ever fly-rod Smallmouth on a #4 olive bugger. Measured 17". As a result, I'll never go fishing without some olive buggers in the box.

Nice tie too!

I tied up almost the exact same fly last summer and had great luck with it on smallmouth bass on a small pond near by. I fished a bunch of other patterns that day but I didn't have any luck until I tied on the olive conehead wooly bugger. The bass would grab the fly on the drop. The trick was to keep the line tight enough to detect the strikes.

Nice fly Jon Boy.

Try them with a little orange marabou under the olive for a "stacked" look. A guy from Missouri showed it to me and he wore the fish out on the White River with it. Browns, Cutts and rainbows all liked the pattern allot. :yahoo:

Mike

Try them with a little orange marabou under the olive for a "stacked" look. A guy from Missouri showed it to me and he wore the fish out on the White River with it. Browns, Cutts and rainbows all liked the pattern allot. :yahoo:

Mike

Just in the tail, you mean?

Mike

Now that you mention that, one very effective color combo for jerkbaits here on the Cumberland is black over gold over orange. I might have to get some orange marabou and tie up a few of those in black over orange.