Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Easy Bug Collecting Container

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:24 AM

I started using empty Kraft Parmasian Cheese containers for collecting insect smples on the river. They work awesome! You don't have to unscrew the lid and risk anything flying or crawling out, just pop open the side of the lid for pouring(not shaking), put the bug in and snap it closed.

#2 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:34 AM

Cool idea, kinda big for me to be lugging around but you got me brain storming for something downsized. The less fuss the better!
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#3 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:37 AM

I carry 3 of them with me on bug expeditions, one for nymphs, one for adults, adn one for "the others", sch as crawfish adn minnows. I agree they're a bit big, I bet if you could find a shorter container with the same diameter you could us the lid from the parmesian cheese conainer with it

#4 fly time

fly time

I love country boys!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:57 AM

Tic Tac containers work well too, for small inscets.
CAT FAST KITTEN SMOOTHE, OFTEN IMITATED, BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!!!!

#5 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:06 PM

I use those plastic prescription bottles for dragging insects back home. When you get up around my age there is an endless supply around the house.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#6 sniksoh

sniksoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:17 AM

what do u collect the bugs for???
[size=2]

#7 Redwings1

Redwings1

solid technique with a dash of style

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:13 AM

reference material for realistics or for regular fly design. Also helps to have the real thing in front of you to help you remember if you are peeling back another layer of our sport and learning the bug names.
-Mike Schmidt of ANGLERSCHOICEFLIES.COM

IPB Image

#8 sniksoh

sniksoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:55 PM

oh i get it...those realistic flies look hard to tie???

[size=2]

#9 Faster Fish

Faster Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

I was wondering............

Do you use a chemical to preserve the bug, or do you just let them sit in the water. I would think that over time the would detereiate to an unusable condition.

Randy

#10 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:19 PM

I used to use alcohol but now I use witch hazel just as cheap but doesn't discolor like alcohol...

sandfly/bob

www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. #688
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie