Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

barbless or not

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: barbless or not

barbless or not???

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:05 AM

I m wondering why do some pinch barbs?? It seems to me to be more popular with the trout guys that the bass guys. I do not do it for steelhead or bass. I will do it for panfish only because when the bite is hot I like to just flip them off the hook and cast. I guess I can see if you have a bigger hook sz10+ that the barb can be harmful on small fish but if you are using a size 24 how big can the barb be????
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#2 Hot Tuna

Hot Tuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:10 AM

I usually pinch the barbs. First, some of our special regulations trout streams in CT require it. Second, when I make an incredibly dumb mistake and stick myself with a fly it hurts a lot less to pull it out when it is barbless help.gif
All the best,
Hot Tuna

#3 Redwings1

Redwings1

solid technique with a dash of style

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:25 AM

I do not go barbless unless the regs require it of me. I do not think that if you properly remove a hook that it causes any more damage either way.
-Mike Schmidt of ANGLERSCHOICEFLIES.COM

IPB Image

#4 fry

fry

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:50 AM

I always use barbless, most of the fisheries/rivers i fish have rules abot barbed hooks anyway but even if you could use barbed i would still use barbless because it is alot easier to get out of things e.g

- my thumd, hand, arm or any other body part
- trees bushes etc
- fish

#5 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

I usually go barbless because the hookset is easier and better. Plus it forces you to fight the fish better, keeping more pressure on it. This in turn tends to get fish to hand sooner, and released fish have a better chance for survival.
Mark

#6 JoeFish

JoeFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:31 AM

I voted for barbless, because its easier to take a barbless hook out of myself, if the situation arises.

smaller hooks I do not bother, but any streamer size hook, I do. those barbs are big!

also, I C&R all the time, so I feel it is much easier on the fish.

Joe
Formerly known as Swinks1966

#7 Fez

Fez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:33 AM

Barbless, Its great for long line releases.

Kidding aside, my province in Canada is all barbless as a rule.

#8 chrislorne

chrislorne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:41 AM

I pinch my barbs for ALL fishing (except the catch and keep trout farm where you aren't allowed) I don't usually do it until I am going to use that specific fly, so there are alot in my fly boxes that are still barbed and haven't been used.

#9 youngbuck

youngbuck

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:23 AM

I take the barbs off of all of my flies. I feel you harm the fish less because there is less metal going in and out of the fishes mouth, plus local trout regs. I do for bass because some of the patterns that I use, the fish take them deeply and I worry about injuring a fish (I killed one trying to get the fly out, so I started pinching them then). I do for steelhead becuase the possibility of fouling the fish. Above all, I have also buried flies into my hand and had to do the mono loop trick to get them out. I find it easier to just take them all off!

#10 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:45 AM

I've thought about going barbless, but haven't yet. I do use micro barb hooks whenever possible if that counts for anything

#11 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Dble Haul @ Apr 20 2006, 09:10 AM) View Post

I usually go barbless because the hookset is easier and better. Plus it forces you to fight the fish better, keeping more pressure on it. This in turn tends to get fish to hand sooner, and released fish have a better chance for survival.

Yeah, what he said. I am definitely interested in doing less damage to the fish and as you said Day5, I can release 'gills (and other fish) much more quickly, but I have to be honest and say that my biggest initial motivation was that the hooksets are much easier.

I can't speak to a size 24 though. I've never used anything smaller than a 20. If I were to make an educated guess I'd think that since using such a small fly requires a small tippet, a hookset that requires less force could be a very good thing!
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#12 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:01 AM

I completely agree with blue gills and double haul, i have found the hook goes in much easier on the hookset with barbless. When i used barbed i lost a lot of fish right on the hookset because of lack of penatration. I also thing it does less damage to the fish, you have to pull harder to remove a size 4 salmon hook with a barb and it takes longer.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#13 TerryLee

TerryLee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(luvinbluegills @ Apr 20 2006, 10:56 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Dble Haul @ Apr 20 2006, 09:10 AM) View Post

Yeah, what he said. I am definitely interested in doing less damage to the fish and as you said Day5, I can release 'gills (and other fish) much more quickly, but I have to be honest and say that my biggest initial motivation was that the hooksets are much easier.

I can't speak to a size 24 though. I've never used anything smaller than a 20. If I were to make an educated guess I'd think that since using such a small fly requires a small tippet, a hookset that requires less force could be a very good thing!

Same here, or at least that's why I used to fish barbless exclusively, including for bass. Most of the time now I don't because I'm lazy, the hooks I've been using lately have barbs that don't have much of a barb, and the hooks are very sharp so penetration hasn't really been a problem.

I don't know about small hooks; I don't generally use smaller than a #12.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

#14 KVRNut

KVRNut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:24 PM

I'm a strictly barbless user, no matter what size hook I have, and have been a barbless user for more than 20 years.
All hooks have their barbs removed, or pinched back flush, and are sharpened before they come close to my fly boxes or tackle box. It's a little extra effort but well worth it.
I have to agree with the previous posts about the reasons to go barbless. For me, it's the only way.

If you truly love Nature, you'll find beauty everywhere.
Vincent Van Gogh

#15 fly time

fly time

I love country boys!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:06 PM

It all depends on the pattern and the regs with me.
CAT FAST KITTEN SMOOTHE, OFTEN IMITATED, BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!!!!