Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bobbin Smoothie

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:41 PM

If you use the "wishbone" style bobbins, and find the tension a bit too much, listen up.
On both ends of the thread spool where the bobbin thingy (I'm sure there is a technical name for that) fits into the hole of the spool, put a small patch of white teflon thread tape (plumbers use it to seal pipe threads) between the bobbin thingy and the spool. This stuff comes in small rolls at your local hardware emporium.

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#2 Gregg A

Gregg A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:17 PM

Thats a good idea. I try to gently spread the arms with my fingers and hopefully dont bend it out of shape. I like your idea better.
The only Zen you'll find at the top of a mountain is the Zen you take up there with you.

#3 Memquisit

Memquisit

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:03 AM

I found using just a bit of chap stick applied to the "thingies" helps the spool turn easily.

#4 Nick N

Nick N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:02 AM

Also, if your bobbins are a little squeaky, jumpy, or too tight, ass a little beeswax to the area where the spool comes into contact with the metal or plastic "hub"
Thanks Nick N
"Different strokes for different folks.....Different Flies for different Guys"
Tied4uflies.4t.com

#5 Al Beatty

Al Beatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:13 AM

Hi guys,

I remove the spool for a moment (leaving the thread thru the barrel), stroke the yolk/thingies along both sides of my nose, slip the spool back on the yolk, and go back to tying. The natural oil located along most peoples nose will lubricate the bobbin/spool quite nice. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com
Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com

#6 chrisfish

chrisfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

Great idea AL.

This is off the subject a little but You can also use that oil on your fingers when playing guitar or bass. And on your lips to prevent chapping.