Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

120 ft .010 Copper Wire for 50 cents

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flyrod98

flyrod98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

I bought 12 inches of 16ga extension cord from an ACE hardware for 50 cents. With a little work stripping the outside insulation off to get at the three conductor and a little more work getting most of the inuslation off the three stranded conductors, you have a source of .010 in. copper wire for fly tying. Each conductor has 40 strands of the . 010 wire.

I cut the 1 foot chunk in half as shown in the pic.

Attached Files

William M
35yrs walkin' + 36 yrs rollin' => 1 Really old fart.
I'd Rather Be Wadin' Than Rollin'

#2 down2earthlv

down2earthlv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

This is the same way I get most of my wire.... if you visit a car audio dealer, most of them keep a scrap wire box in the back somewhere.... these wires tend to be much finer than 'extension cord' wire. some of the larger diameters like 4/0 can have hundreds of strands inside. The shop will usually give away pieces less than 8 or 10 inches. I just wish someone would manufacture electrical wiring in different colors, I'm tired of copper! LOL!!
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

#3 Linesides

Linesides

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:07 AM

I have been using SS 28 gauge for my ribbing dubbibg brushes but I found 100 ft at Joanns for 5.00 that was 28 gauge plain stainless. Compared to .20 cents a foot for the SS quite a good deal.
www.saltwateredge.com
www.saltwaterflies.com

#4 DancesWithHeadCement

DancesWithHeadCement

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

I did a little searching on Google for copper wire, perhaps this may help.

#5 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:21 PM

The ribbon cables used to attach various drives to the motherboards is made up of silver wire. Some ribbons are made of up to 60 or so wires each with 7 strands of fine silver wire. I get mine out of scrapped computer, before we recycle them.
"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly