Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Closed cell foam... Reccomendations?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 garetjax

garetjax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:57 AM

I am working on tying my first ever fly. I chose to tie a black beetle using closed cell foam. However, I am unsure of the proper foam I should be using to do this with. Can anyone reccomend and/or provide links to foam that should be used for black beetles?

#2 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

Go to any local store and get yourself some craft foam for a quarter. For the most part that is the same stuff that is sold in fly shops....

test

#3 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:07 AM

I got my foam at Walmart, $5 got me all the foam I need. They have several colors, with or without adhesive backing. The thickness is 2mm, check it out and see if its what you are looking for.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world." -Henry David Thoreau

#4 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

I get craft foam from wally world, among others. comes in packages of sheets of mixed colors. and it's CHEAP. Look around while you're there and you'll find lots of stuff you can use instead of paying the big bucks for it at the fly shop.
I've used my dog, my cat,my brother's dog and cat, my 16yr old, candy bar wrappers, carpeting, brooms, wine bottle corks, Tyvek, etc. Look around.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#5 garetjax

garetjax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:45 AM

The foam I would like to aquire is a more pliable, open cell type foam. What I am trying to accomplish is obtain the same foam that is on a foam beetle that I am using as a template to make my own foam beetle. I'll see if I can't post a photo of what ; MS talking about and see if that helps you guys any figure out what kind of foam it really is.